It's Called a Nightmare

Thump, thump.  I felt my heart pound on my chest as if was trying to free itself.  Over and over.  I guess this was a good sign, to know that, if I’m about to die, my heart will be set free.  I moved my hand feeling a burning sensation from the rope that restricted my every move.  I forced the rope beyond its ability to turn around and look at my brother.  Innocent eyes, none of this was his fault.  In fact, I don’t exactly remember whose fault it was exactly.  The story is so tangled up that it can have over a million viewpoints versions.  He looked up at me with glazed, bloodshot eyes from crying extensively.  I, on the other hand, took my approaching death in a different way.  I hadn’t shed a single tear.  Looking around in this abandoned place, with this psychotic man pacing and talking on the phone in hushed tones.  I looked up at the ceiling that was caving in above our heads.  Cracks in the walls, shards of glass scattered all over the place, but out of reach.  I heard the man slap his phone shut and approach us slowly, probably for dramatic effect.  He passed me without a look and walked towards my brother.

“Stand up.” He commanded.  I felt my heart continue to race.

“DON’T LISTEN TO HIM CHARLIE.” I yelled, and stretched hopelessly trying to squirm out of the rope causing more burns, but I couldn’t care less.

The man slowly turned around.  His face wasn’t visible.  Completely black with to small slits for his eyes.  Eyes of a tiger; gold and bright.  Unnaturally so as well.

“Charlie you better tell your sister to stop talking or else she and you are both dead.” He said calmly.  This was the first time the man had spoken to us in a full tone voice.  His voice deep and rusty.

“Holly…” Charlie said shaking his head with his begging eyes.  Tears streaming down his face, his once bright blue eyes had turned grey and stormy.  The man aimed the gun at my brother’s head.

BOOM.  A shot was fired.  I closed my eyes, hoping that I would never have to open them.  Hoping that although the gun was pointed at my brother, that I would be the one that was dead.

Then next thing that happened was the strangest part of all of this.  I woke up, in my bed.  In my room.  In my home.  The man was gone.  No one was there.  I threw off my blanket, and ran into Charlie’s room in panic.  I found him silently sleeping, tucked in safely into his bed.  I walked up to him and placed a light kiss on his forehead.  My heart stopped pounding and I felt tears overflow me.  My brother was safe, he was safe, he was safe and alive.

I wiped my tears up and slowly walked into my room, careful not to alarm anyone I had awaken.  I found my parents and an unfamiliar woman in my room.  The woman wore a pantsuit, held a clipboard and had short, blonde hair.  I froze that the doorframe extremely confused. My father looked down at the floor, and my mother pushed herself into his side for comfort as he wrapped his arm around her tighter.

“Miss Holly Jay?”

I nodded slowly giving the lady a cautious look.

“I am Kim Ferentil, director and admissions director of Sominator Academy of Dreams and Nightmares.”

I raised my eyebrows, confused.

“What?” I asked.

She smiled and looked down at her shoes, and then looked up at my parents.

“Never told her, huh?”

My father shook his head.

She looked back at me. “You’re a dreamer.”

“I’m a what?” I asked confused.  Things in my mind flew in every direction.  It made me question everything I had ever done.  Had I done something wrong? Had I made a bad, bad, bad mistake?  What is a “Dreamer”?  The word was almost as mysterious as this lady was. 

Kim sighed in disappointment.

“How old are you, Holly?”  She asked.

“Si-sixteen.” I said shaking my head.

“Do you know what just happened to you?  Before you found yourself in the comfort of your home?”  She asked now holding the clipboard with both hands.

“My brother died.” I said flatly.  My father looked down and my mother started crying and Kim nodded.

“What you just experienced, was called a Nightmare.  Have you had this experience before?”

I shook my head.

“No.  I rest and then awaken when it’s morning every day like normal” I shrugged. I thought about it, and I honestly could not think of one occurrence this has happened in before.

 “Okay, good.” She said.

“Ms. Ferentil, is there something wrong with me?” I asked honestly.

“Nothing that is your fault.” She said smiling.

I nodded as if I understood, when really I was just as confused as before I asked the question.

“Trust me Holly, it will make a lot more sense when you get to Somniator.  I promise that,” She paused and smiled, looking at my parents and sighing again, “Now please Holly, continue to rest.  I will see you next week when term begins.  Thank you for your time.”  Kim left the room and my parents followed her to the front door.