11: tell me honestly

1 1 

t e l l  m e  h o n e s t l y

"What's... what's making you unhappy?"

You were startled — I could feel your body freezing up and stiffening in my embrace as the implications of my question dawned on you, and I began to regret having ever spoken at all. Had I made you uncomfortable? I watched you concernedly as the stars glittering in your beautiful eyes began to fade away again into the darkness of the night sky, the deep sadness turning into shock and then acceptance. I wonder what you were thinking at that moment, Kevin Moon.

You seemed to steel yourself then said quietly: "Someone I thought was my happiness turned out to be my pain." Your gaze turned bittersweet. "I'd battled with rumours through high school — I don't know why I'm telling you this, but the words seem to tumble from my mouth — because of my bisexuality, and some day, a girl suddenly appeared before me. She was... she was... looking back now, she took care of me but she was... I understand she was a toxic person.

"Siyoo, I think my fiancé abuses me."

For years after that moment, I used to wonder why I felt like that then. I would wonder why I reacted like that. At the revelation, I recoiled from you and rushed to the bathroom, retching into the toilet, tears streaming down my cheeks as unwanted images flooded through my mind. A girl, torn apart by someone she thought she loved, feeling herself crumble as the months passed, ravaged by the wolf that is man. Was the girl... in those cascading memories me?