Love and friends; such a luxury

A N D R I A
When I was little I was taught to respect people who were higher up in hierarchy. They could be older than me, richer than me, have a higher status and I would still have to respect them. It was common nature and it's something that I don't see as something that would change.

Getting to indulge in love and friends was a luxury that I didn't get to see so often so when I found out what my mark was, I decided to hide it. I was scared but I knew eventually I would have to come clean about it. Love will always be a luxury that won't come to me as often and I was content with that but then I found out who made that mark.

"I already told you Andria that you're going to be staying with someone else!" My mother dragged me by my arm forcefully. It hurt but I was too scared to speak up about it.

"But I don't want to!" I screamed and pleaded.

I didn't want to stay with someone else and be taken away from my mother, the only family I ever had.

"I'm scared please mother!" She stopped dragging me to the gate. She let go of my arm and kneeled down, grabbed my shoulders then looked me in the eyes.

"Do you remember what I told you? Fear is something you conjure up in your head. It's not real. When you're scared it just means you're weak of what's to come. I need you to be strong. Please do that for me." She looked as though she was on the verge of tears.

She didn't want this for me but something in her said she had to do this for my well being. She told me that over and over as if she was trying to convince herself not me.

"Will I see you again?" She gave me a sad smile and nodded.

"Maybe in the future." She hugged me tightly then let go. Grabbed my hand and walked to the gate. "For now I need you to focus on the task at hand. Love and friends will be luxury that you must not have right now." She gripped my hand tighter.

"Then when?" She looked down at me and sighed.

"When the time is right." She looked back up at the gate. "You'll know when it just feels right."

"-dria. Andria?" I opened eyes but regretted it when I saw the sun shining through the blinds.

"Why the sun?" I heard a chuckle and rustling.

"It's already a little past nine. I was surprised when I didn't see you upstairs." I sat up and looked around. I saw Jane looking at me with worry. "Are you sick? I can talk to Ryder if you-" I waved my hand at her.

"No! No I mean I'm fine so just go ahead and do what you need to. I'll be up in a couple minutes." I smiled to try and reassure her.

She nodded then headed out.

I always hated that dream.

I made my way upstairs and decided to go to the garden first.

"Breakfast?" I jumped a little feeling startled. I turned around and saw Daina.

"You scared me." I smiled. "I'm not hungry and the food is probably all gone by now." She brought out a plate from behind her.

"I saved you some food." I smiled and nodded.

Not like I will end up eating it but I accepted it anyway.

"Thank you Daina. If you don't mind I should be going to the garden now." I nodded and she shooed me.

"Go on."

I made my way to the garden but stopped when I heard voices.

"Is this about-"