Lovely Bones

image (Twitter @/huangdanlan) I swear its just a coincidence I use their pictures so much-

"You don't have to stay and watch, you know," Solomon had gotten to work in the operating room, patching up the wounds on Canan's body, and reconnecting her as he went. "I can tell you didn't get proper sleep. We can call you once it's time to start."

"No. I'm staying here."

No more words were exchanged while Kurapika watched Solomon stitch Canan back together carefully. They had been up for two days so far, repairing the body and gathering as much blood as possible for her blood type.  

"Okay. I just finished reattaching her head. All she needs is... well..."

"-The eyes." Kurapika jumped straight to the point. He needed to find her eyes and bring them to the lab so they could put them in. Solomon seemed hesitant to answer, but agreed quickly. Kurapika was pretty scary when he didn't sleep, or eat... and continuously observed Solomon's process of piecing together his long lost friend. It made him on edge. 

"If you could go get them and bring them back here, we can start today... please."

Without much resistance, Kurapika left to retrieve them from where he had them hidden. This was going to be a challenge. Of course he could probably just pick any of the jars, but he wanted the eyes to be her own, even though it would probably not turn out that way. 

"Which ones were they?" Kurapika observed closely from the collection of his brethren's eyes, noting their different shapes and sizes that made each one a slight bit different. It was when he stopped on a certain pair that really stood out, that he remembered something about Canan's eyes.

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚:⠀ *⋆.*:・゚ .: ⋆*・゚: .⋆

"Canan... you have something in your eye..."

"My eye? I don't feel anything... What is it?" Kurapika examined Canan's eyes closely, his face a mere inches apart from her own.

"This eye... The pupil is shaped like an oval!" He was referring to her right eye, which was missing a section of the iris and instead was black and connected to her pupil. The two went to the local doctor, who smiled at the children's naivety.

"Don't worry, you two," The doctor placed a hand on Canan's shoulder and smiled brightly. "Canan just has Coloboma. It means her pupil is shaped differently from birth. It shouldn't affect anything else."

"Wow! Canan has a special eye!"

"Hey! It's just shaped wierdly..." Canan pouted and crossed her arms in a huff, making Kurapika laugh loudly

"Silly! It isn't weird. It's cool!" Kurapika smiled at Canan, who blushed and uncrossed her arms, a sour expression on her face. 

"W-Whatever!"

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚:⠀ *⋆.*:・゚ .: ⋆*・゚: .⋆

Coloboma. She never had the eye fixed, and so if he wanted to find her pair, he would need to look for the irregularity that set them apart. Kurapika searched through rows of scarlet eyes, and very nearly panicked when he couldn't find them, but on the last few, he noticed one eye in a pair was glowing a dull scarlet. Upon closer inspection, he saw the irregular pupil he had recalled from memory.

"...There you are."

Kurapika scooped up the jar carefully and gently cradled it to his chest. A melancholic smile gracing his features at the dear memories brought to the surface like sand being kicked up in the sea. He wanted this to work. So desperately, and if it did, maybe he could bring back Pairo. For now, however, he would focus on Canan. After her revival, he would have to figure out why her body wasn't completely decomposed, one mystery at a time.