❖ Chapter Six ❖

*Trigger warning: light gore/talk of gore* 

Emily's POV

"Uuugh," Emily moaned, rubbing her throbbing head. Her vision was blurring, and she couldn't make out any solid shapes.

Why did her head ache so bad?

She let her eyelids close for a few seconds, exhaling out of her nose. Emily opened them again with excruciating slowness. 

After a second, the haze finally focused. 

She glanced around. She was on her bed, the same position she had collapsed in last night.

Last night... 

What had happened last night?

Emily brought her eyes to her alarm clock. 

9:32 

The light next to the pm was off. 

It was a school day. Why hadn't her mother woken her up?

Emily tried to move, and a burst of pain exploded between her eyes, making her whimper audibly and get back down hastily.

That right there was probably why.

A faint rustling — like someone was going through a stack of papers — came from somewhere near, and it did not help her already close-to-unbearable headache.

"Stooop," Emily mumbled, throwing a pillow in a random direction without even lifting her head to look. She didn't want to move.

But then the pillow made contact with something. She heard a chuckle, as if someone was amused.

A vicious shredding sound slammed into Emily's eardrums, making her yelp and clutch her head protectively. In a frenzy of panic, she turned to see Emyss. As dark and sinister-looking as ever (at least, from Emily's swimming point of view). Her eyes also caught the ripped remains of her pillow. Stuffing had poured out of it, looking like a pool of white fairy floss on Emily's carpet. That wasn't a good sign.

Emily tried to sound confident. "I can't do today, sorry Emyss," she said, letting her head fall back against her mattress. "I've got a seriously bad headache."

"You kidding? Torturing you when you're sick is going to be awesome," Emyss responded sinisterly, singing the last word, and the sound pierced Emily's head, vibrating around in her skull and not helping her in the least.

"You really should be more grateful," Emyss snarled, tapping Emily's desk lightly with her fingertips. "You're costing me my rep. Usually, I kill my targets within a day of being hired. Oh well, I'm sure the critics'll make an exception once they find out you're my double."

Emily somehow found the strength to push herself up, so she was leaning on her elbows. She had to look steadier than she was. "What do you mean?" she asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

"Oh, I'm our realm's top assassin. They've issued a rule though that when we find our doubles, we're basically allowed to have fun with them in any way we like, for however long we want, as long as they die at the end."

Emily's throat tightened. "I regret asking," she almost whimpered.

"If you must know, though, Hannah's the top thief, and Sofia's the best... well, let's just say, she's an excellent persuader. You seem fun enough, but I do wish you weren't sick all the time," Emyss clicked her tongue disappointedly. 

"S-sick?" Emily asked.

"Duh. You were so cold yesterday, despite being wrapped up in a warm blanket. Plus, your major headache?"