O N E

"Get over here you rascal!" I hear the person shout at me.

"Thank you kind sir for the bagel, now chip chop cheerio!" I laugh and salute him. I shove the bagel in my mouth as I continued running. My family is poor, well family is just me and my mom. We barely have food, so don't go calling me the bad guy! I trip into a puddle. Ugh. That's great! At least I'm clean... Ya, we kind of don't have a house, so that means no bath tub. 

"Street rat!" someone throws a cup at my feet, I jump over it, and snatch it.

"Thanks for the cup!" I scream and race away. Bagel and a cup? Today's just my lucky day! I got over to the ally where my mom was. Our home... "Hey mom, look what I got." I smile. My mother coughs.

"Oh, thanks honey." she cracks a smile. I gave her the bagel. "Oh no, you can have it, I insist." she shoves my offer away.

"No.. You need it more than I do." I say and place it in her cold, bare hands. 

"Thank you dear.." she smiles at me. She slowly eats the bagel till there was nothing left. She coughs again.

"Mom, are you OK? I think you're getting sick.." I worry. 

"I'm OK..." she coughs. 

"No you're not mom. Be right back..." I race down the sidewalk with my bare feet. Cough drops? Soup? Tissues? Blanket? Tea? Anything?! I run around trying to find something. Money maybe? So I can buy stuff. I can't sing or play guitar to earn money, for I suck at anything that has to do with music. I saw a man with soup. 

"I'm stuffed.." he mumbles to himself. He gets up from the bench and he was about to throw it away.

"Wait, no!" I shout, running over to him. He turns around, confused.

"What?" he asks, obviously confused.

"Can I take care of that.. For you?" I awkwardly say. He shrugs and hands it over to me. 

"Here, kid." he says. 

"Thanks so much! God bless you!" I smile as I race back to where my mother is located. 

"Here. Take this.." I whisper as I spoon feed her. She gulps every last bit of what was left that the man gave me. 

"Honey, you need something to eat also." she states. 

"OK.. I know." I smile, "Later. I need to take care of you now."