Chapter 1

(A/N: Anything in bold is sign language unless stated otherwise. Enjoy!)

It was yet another 'peaceful' (note the irony) day at Holby City Hospital, however that is not where our story begins.

Jade was used to Marty shaking her awake in the morning, he's like a human alarm clock to her. It's not like there's any point in me setting one Jade always reasoned, it'd only hurt her ears anyway, and Marty's always up to help her. Today however was a day that Jade would never forget, she just didn't know it yet.

Jades PoV:

'Ugh' i thought, 'Its too early'. I open my eyes to see Marty at the end of my bed, and sign good morning, the only bit of sign he knows. I turn over in bed to reach for my hearing aids, however, they're not there. Where are they? I need these oh god. I turn over to Marty but he's not looking. Oh wait, i don't have to sign, "Marty," I said, although i don't know how loud i said it, but it seemed to have worked and gotten his attention, "I can't find my hearing aids, can you help me?". He gave me a thumbs up and we started looking however despite our efforts we couldn't find them.

That means i'll have to go and find Connie, and ask for an interpreter for the day.

The first struggle of the day was walking in, Marty had to help me get through reception, because I couldn't hear any patients who were running around in a panic.

We finally reach the reception desk and Noel and Marty begin to chat, although i'm not sure about what. It may have been about me loosing my hearing aids, because the next thing i know Noel is on the phone, and Marty is giving me a thumbs up. 'Remind me to ask Connie to run a sign language course', I thought.

I must've been lost in my thoughts, because the next thing i knew Marty tapped me on the shoulder and we began walking to Connie's office, with Marty making sure I didn't walk into any of the busy nurses.

We entered the office and Connie signed thank you Marty, you can leave now, although i think that was just so I didn't feel left out.

Sit down, Jade

Ok Miss Beauchamp

So, I hear you've lost your hearing aids, how did that happen?

Honestly, I don't know. Me and Marty tried, but we couldn't find them, but i didn't want to be the reason why we were late.

Fair enough Jade. Now I have some unfortunate news. We are unable to find an interpreter for you, so, seeing as I only have paperwork to do today, i've decided to interpret. Are you ok with that?

Yeah, of course. No one likes paperwork!

Although i couldn't be sure, i'm pretty sure i made Connie chuckle at that, i'm always more confident signing.

We'll go and get ready. I'll escort you to the changing room, and then i will inform everyone of your situation. Come on then, let's go.

Yes ma'am! I signed, adding a mock salute at the end.