Please Read

First of all: this book was NOT inspired by August D's Daechwita! This idea is more than a year old and only because of Corona I was able to write it eventually. But you may take Daechwita and Hwarang as a reference for the era this story is set in.

Second: Disclaimers/Triggers. This story describes era-typical violence like beheading, stabbing, poisoning, mutilation and such things. If I consider a scene to be very depictive, I will say so beforehand and mark the paragraphs, so that you can skip it. It does not happen often though. That said, there are minor character deaths in this book.

Now about this story. I'm a major fan of Chinese Wuxia/Costume drama such as The Sleuth of Ming Dynasty or The Untamed (consider this a recommendation), so I wanted to write a FF of BTS in that age. I've never seen one in that setting before, which was another motivator to start this and pull through. And true to the nature of this genre, it will be a slow-burn story and you'll get to know a shit ton of names and characters. But more on that later.

This book is placed during the era of the three kingdoms (around 600 AD), which are Goguryeo in the north, Baekje in the south-west, and Silla in the south-east. I'm going to ignore Gaya and make it a part of Silla. I chose Daejeon and Daegu as the respective capitals even though that is not historically correct (I only dug into the history during writing).

 I chose Daejeon and Daegu as the respective capitals even though that is not historically correct (I only dug into the history during writing)

Now I am going to explain some things about that age.

Looks: Everyone wore their hair long, men too. Short hair was a sign of slavery or being lowborn. The clothes (of men and women) consisted of so-called undergarments which are trousers and a thin long-sleeved jacket (they were also used as sleeping clothes), several layers of outer robes which were of finer fabric for rich people and decorated, a sash belt that fixes the outer robes around the waist, socks and boots, and hair décor. The hair décor for women were pins and needles, men wore their hair in a topknot around which rich people wore so-called sangtugwans. Headbands were optional. Unmarried men wore their hair open, married man completely bound into the topknot.

Language/Education: Korea still used Chinese characters at this time and only the higher society knew how to read and write

Language/Education: Korea still used Chinese characters at this time and only the higher society knew how to read and write. Women did not have the same access to education like men. They were mostly illiterate unless they were princesses or women of noble blood. They were expected to know things like embroidery and painting.