Chapter Five: Questions

[this is not the complete version]

 Chapter Five: Questions 

   “Are you a good cook?”

   “Well, I supposed that that depends on the consumer, don’t you think?”

   “Fair point. What’s your favorite sitcom?”

   “I’m going to be honest with you, I have no idea.”

   “This is quickly becoming boring. Which movie have you watched more than ten times?”

   “Jurassic Park. I will never be able to resist not watching that damn movie, even if the sequels sucked and were total let-downs compared to the original.”

   “I wasn’t expecting that. I assumed you would like watching something romantic like The Vow or The Notebook or something like that.”

   “Not all girls are romance-crazy. I for one have never even seen either of those.”

   “I find that untrue.”

   “I find you annoying.”

   Tom sighed, agreeing silently to the fact that he was indeed intolerable. After she had nonchalantly revealed that the professor that passed away, whom was also not supposed to be taken into conversation as his father had told him, was her uncle, Tom stubbornly pushed an irritated Avianna into playing a game of twenty-one questions, with Avianna the only one being interrogated and with Tom being the hard-headed interrogator.

   Tom didn’t want a repeat of what happened on the first day that they met – when he asked her a question and she refused to answer, it had led him to say something he didn’t mean to and his mother was quick to reprimand him about that –, but he was unbelievably curious as to where Avianna had come from and, well, was interested in Avianna in general. The girl was incredibly sarcastic, witty, and wasn’t one to jump his bones the first time they had met, unlike the other girls in the midst of his life, and it was refreshingly… intriguing to him.

   Something out of cliché story book? It probably is.

   “Look,” Avianna started eventually, stopping mid-step and making Tom come to a halt as well as the wheels of his bike screech against the pavement, “I don’t know what you aim to find out here, but I’m hungry and tired and I need some form of respite soon or else I’m going to cut a bitch.”

   “Unnecessary swearing at its finest,” Tom muttered and quickly scolded himself with a light slap to the head. Dad doesn’t like it when I mutter.

   “Stop being such a good boy,” Avianna muttered back, not failing to notice the self-inflicted physical harm he had done and wondered if he was on medication or not. “We’re still a long way from my house, and the shops are coming into view now. I’d like to sit for a while and put something into my system.” Her words were in said in a tone of suggestion, but her eyes said anything but.

   For some strange reason, he felt the need to comply – probably because he would get the silent treatment if he didn’t. “There’s a coffee shop a few shops down,” he said. “It has the best breakfast you can find here in San Antonio. It’s right next to Patch it Up!” Tom paused then, his cheeks flushing as he remembered what had happened.

   Was he ever going to get over that? Probably not.

   Avianna smiled, knowing what had him so flushed. “Relax, Tom,” she said. “I’ve gotten over the whole ‘piece of shit’ fiasco, you should be able to as well. Besides, it was entirely my fault. I don’t know why I overreacted so much. I’m sorry for cursing at you in your own store – even if you swore at me.”