Chapter Six: The Unknowable Room

You huffed as you followed Madam Pince with three heavy books in your arms.

It has been two hours now that you wandered behind her lifting tons of pages, at first on the background of her hushing already silent students, and in complete silence now that no one was there anymore.

Probably chatting and resting in their common room...

Pince turned and grabbed two books from you; you noticed that since the place was drowned in silence, her features were less tensed. Your eyes fell on the last book resting on your forearms; it was apparently on all kinds of spells.

You cleared your throat and she jumped at the sudden noise: "Madam, do you think I could borrow this book?"

It could be useful for your memory.

She considered it and said quite bitterly: "Right, but I want it back Monday morning."

You nodded and thanked her.

She gauged your form and finally freed you.

You were walking down a corridor, the book flush against your chest and your cloak flying behind you, thinking about the fire in the pit and the red velvety couches when-

"And that's what I clarified to- Oh Miss y/l/n, I am profoundly sorry."

Nearly Headless Nick and two other ghosts had just come out of the wall at your side and you jumped as they nearly bumped in you; well, more through you. You had let the heavy book fall on the floor out of surprise and crouched to pick it up. "Don't worry, I was lost in my thoughts..."

The ghost hovered over you, a sorry expression on his pale face: "If I could, I would help you, Miss."

You shrugged and lifted your face: "It's alright. Good evening Sir!"

He saluted you and headed to the wall on the other side of the corridor, his voice disappearing as soon as he went through it, followed by the others.

You huffed as you took back the weight on your arms and got up; you lifted your face as you started walking again, but quickly stopped and raised eyebrows.

In front of you, a double door had appeared. You turned your face to the left and to the right; no one who could have made it appear was there. You walked towards it and lifted your chin: the entrance was enormous; the top of the door was barely below the ceiling and it was nearly as large as the doors of the great hall.

Yet you swore some minutes ago, it was a simple stone wall; no tapestry could have fallen to uncover it.

You passed your hand on the door, as you couldn't believe it was a real one; the cold metal made a shiver run down your spine. You knocked, but due to its material and thickness, it was a bit vain for someone inside to hear you.

Was it a good idea to open?

Well, since when did you only do in good ideas anyway?

You grabbed the heavy ring and drew it; the door surprisingly opened easily for its apparent weight.

You passed your head through it and huffed: the room in front of you was huge – and it was a small word to describe it. You literally couldn't see its end, but even if it was smaller, you're not sure you would either; it was a complete mess.

Pieces of furniture of all sizes, tables, antiques, paintings whose characters had apparently left, sculptures and others were disposed here and there – even a bird flew over you at a moment –, barely leaving a passage to go through it. There wasn't any window, but a clear light, even for this hour of the night, enlightened the room. You held your book tighter against your chest; you surprisingly didn't feel unease here, but felt like you were seeing what you shouldn't.