Summer Love

• Dedicated to Anyone who has ever had a past summer romance.

~Summer Love~

I sighed as my toes sunk into the cold grains of sand. The sun set was so beautiful over the water, lighting it up to almost orange. I caught a tear before it was able to fall to far, remembering the memories of the summer before last.

So precious and heart breaking for me.

My hand went to my pocket and I traced the designs on the envelope that I had yet to open. I kept pushing it further till I would open it. To keep the potential heart break from reoccurring.

The sun set faster than usual it seemed. Just like that summer had. It had been faster than ever before, and I guess it was because that was the first summer that I had spent with him.

It was just a summer romance, Piper. A part of me would whisper, but another part was screaming that it wasn't just another romance. And no matter how much I wanted to believe the whisper, I couldn't ever shake him from my thoughts each night.

Before he had became a worn out memory that I kept to myself, my friends all oblivious to the happenings.  But since most of them were half way across the world, they couldn't read my emotions. That was until,  Hallie started studying for her masters in California with me.

"So, what has happened in the past few years without us here?" She asked, a smile tracing her lips, her dimples showing. I bit my lip while shrugging my shoulders.

"Nothing really, just boring summers, y'know?" I said with a smile, holding back the tears that threatend to spill from the unforgettable boy that I was yet to forget.

"Have you talked much with Daniel?" She asked, discussing my boyfriend. The perfect guy in every way, studying to become a major in graphic design. I smiled at the thought of him.

He had always been there for me, I loved him. I truly did.

"Yeah, he is still working on that degree in graphic design," I said with a smile.

"He is going to be a great artist one day," She smiled. But in her eyes anger flashed and her jaw clenched before she returned to normal. I shot her a confused glance but she pretended not to see it.

My thoughts returned to Daniel again, dismissing Hallie's angry gaze. I thought about all of the amazing times we had together. But every time I would think of them a voice in my head would tell me that they didn't compare to the memories with him. 

I looked over to my locked jewelry box, debating whether I should open the letter or not. I shook my head. It had to be the right time. I felt like I would know when I should open it.

Suddenly a thought occurred to me. Was I really in love with Daniel?

I loved Daniel, with all of my heart. But I wasn't in love with him.

And as I looked back on that memory from this past year, I smiled. Daniel and I were still continuing to go strong, but I still haven't let go of the memory of him.

I sat in the sand, ignoring the possibility that I would track sand into my small beach cottage. I carefully opened the envelope admiring his loopy handwriting that spelled out my name, I adored his handwriting. I shook my head, You love Daniel.

I pulled the letter from the pocket of the envelope, and unfolded it.

Good evening Beautiful,

I know how much you love to open important things at night, like all of those lovely letters from your sister, she must be amazing. You probably didn't open this for a while, I don't know how long that 'while' is but I'm guessing you didn't open it the second that you got into your house after we parted ways.