When we were younger...

"Maybe it would help if you told me something about us?"

--------------------

Dec had thought of this suggestion the whole night. His wife Ali had thought he would be kidding her at first when he had told her that Ant had lost every memory of Dec. But when she had seen the completely devastated expression of her husband she had simply taken him to her arms. After he had told her the whole story, she had been furious. "And this hypnotist? What's happening to him now?" Dec had simply shrugged. "I don't know, love. I mean... it's not his fault either, is it?" That was a question without answer. Whose fault was it? This had been the second thing Dec had thought of while he should be asleep.

But the next morning, he awoke with a clear plan in his mind. He would go over to Ant's, knowing that Anne-Marie and her girls were out for a girls-holiday, and tell him about them, just as he had suggested. He really didn't know if that would help, but he would try anything to make Ant remember. So, when he stood up he took his phone and pressed Ant's contact. There was a long tooting in the line but eventually, he could hear a sleepy "Who is this?" Dec's heart clenched but he kept it together: "Hi Ant, um... it's me, Dec. Declan", he added. He knew that Ant's name-memory wasn't too good. But he could hear a noise of recognizing through the line. "Oh, hi Dec. Sorry, I still have to get used to that you call me regularely. You do call me regularely, right?" Dec let out a humourless chuckle. "Yeah, we call each other almost every day when we can't meet. But let's discuss this later. I call you because... well, I'd like to accept your suggestion. I'll just come over and we can... talk, okay?" Even over the phone he could see Ant's smile. "Sure thing, Dec. See ya in a few minutes!"

The doorbell of the McPartlin's rang and Ant hurried to answer it. He had had to wait almost half an hour for Dec to arrive. It seemed like this guy wasn't too fussy with being on time, he thought to himself and couldn't help but grin. Then he opened the door. It was quite awkward. Dec was standing in front of him, holding a album, certainly a photo album, and smiling sheepishly. "Um... hi. I'll just..." He gestured towards the hallway and Ant hurried to step out of his way. "Yeah, sure. It's... good to see you. Really. Uh... may I..." He lifted his arms, insecure if Dec would be okay with him hugging him. But to his relief, the first geniue smile appeared on Dec's face and they gave each other a quick hug. It was definitely not like their usual hugs, but it was a hug. It was a beginning.

Ant guided Dec towards the living room, forgetting that Dec virtually knew this place as if it was his own house. "...and here is - oh boy, I bet you know where everything is, don't you?", he interrupted himself, realization hitting him. Dec nodded sadly but said nothing. Ant sighed. "I'm sorry. I still have to get used to it." Dec bit his lip and muttered: "Yeah, me too." For a moment or two, both of them stood in an uncomfortable silence, but eventually, Ant spoke up again: "D'you wanna drink something?" Dec nodded, relieved that he was freed from this strange situation. Ant went into the kitchen, rummaging around in some cupboards, putting a kettle on (Dec felt the strange desire to cry when he heard the bubbling noise of the boiling water) and eventually returned with two hot cups of tea and a package of chocolate buttons. "Want some?", he asked while offering the package to Dec. The slightly older man started to smile widely and nodded. "Sure, man! You know me-" He could just interrupt himself in time. You know me too well. "I... I'd really like some, thanks", he said quickly, before the situation could get any worse.

The two men sat in silence for a couple of moments, sipping their tea and grabbing a chocolate button every now and then. Eventually, Ant decided to start a conversation. "So, we are... best mates, right?" He noticed the pained expression that slipped over Dec's face and slapped himself internally for saying something so careless. But Dec nodded. "We are. Since... 31 years this christmas", he said, a mixture of happiness, sadness and nostalgia clouding his eyes. Ant stared at him. "31 years? Wow, that's a long time! How can this be without us killing each other?" Dec let out a laugh. It was geniue and for a split second, the mood in the room eased up a bit. "Well, we just... we just get on very well", Dec said, affection and love in his voice, what made Ant feel warm around his heart. He thougth a moment. Then he asked: "Can you tell me how we... met?" Dec smiled. He always liked to share this story.