☆Prologue☆

Stonewhisker paced along the edge of the Starpool, her whiskers twitching with annoyance. "Too soon, too soon," she muttered, stopping briefly to peer into the pool.

The image was unchanged, one of darkness and smoke, of blood and claws and fury.

A small whimper escaped her. "Must keep her safe. Must protect my kit. I have to warn her, somehow."

She filled her paw into the Starpool, and saw her, her kit, alive and well. For now. The nagging voice hadn't left her for many moons, and if it kept up, she might just lose her mind.

A dry chuckle spilled out of her. "Maybe I already have." All the better then, dear. Listen to me, and she'll stay alive.

"She has to stay alive." Stonewhisker echoed the words that never left her, that seemed as constant as her heartbeat.

She paced back around the pool, staring, watching, willing it to move, to change. Choose some. Choose ones to protect her, when you cannot. Yes. That is what she would do. She had to.

The waters rippled, showing a young brown tabby racing through the forest, a bird flopping in her jaws. But it was her eyes that drew Stonewhisker to her.

It was that determined glint, that look that said she was getting her way. That look that said she would protect if told.

She is the one. The voice seemed louder this time, as if the cat if belonged to was right next to her. Now keep a good hold on her, or Starclan will fall.

Stonewhisker looked around her, the stars glistening on every surface. "I have to help her," Stonewhisker murmured. "Or Starclan will be doomed."