Chapter 3~

“Hello Father” I walked in avoiding eye contact

“Evangeline, Shouldn’t you be with prince albin?”

I swallowed “ he went home”

“What?!” He shrieked and I flinched “You let one of our most valuable allies and most sought after princes in the WORLD slip through your fingers?”

“I am sorry father but he loved someone else anyways. I surely did try” 

He just gazed at his desk for several seconds as I was waiting for a response.

“I understand Evangeline but I am very disappointed in you. I thought you would do what best for your people, not for yourself.” //// 

Those words troubled me. They grabbed at my heart and made small cuts in it one by one. I did want what was good for my people. I love Audens and forever will but I also need to do what is good for myself and my father cannot respect that.

“I am sorry father.” Then it came to me. I would have to have a successful date with another prince. Make the prince tell my father how lovely I was then on his way.

“Father, I will not disappoint you anymore as I will contact the-” Who should I contact that would be valuable, and single… “I will contact Prince Iñaki of Spain”

With that, his face lit up like a child in a candy store. I could tell he was beyond delighted, he was ecstatic.

“Will you really, Evangeline?” He prodded

“Of course, I am a lady of her word” I smiled

“That would be marvelous! Go call him as soon as possible!” He shooed me out of the room

I went down the hall but instead of going to the communications room. I went straight to my room.

I sat there for so long reflecting on how he must have had my date with Ablin planned for months, or even scarier, years. He could have based my entire life off of one date on me just falling head over heels for Prince Ablin. I also knew he would be devasted when Prince Iñaki doesn’t fall in love with me and want to marry me but at least this time it wouldn’t be my fault. I had to complete this. 

I got up from my bed and looked into my mirror. I whisper to myself “Evangeline Amirah Othonos, You will not disappoint your father, your country, and yourself. You will put on a show that the world will eat up but still think about yourself...you can do this”

I sped walked down the hall to the main communications center and used the main palace phone. My hands shook a little as I dialed the number. Fearful of what I was getting myself into but most of all fearful of what Iñaki will say. I punched in the last number and rose the phone to my ear. Stop shaking I told myself… it's just lunch with a prince.

I hear the other line pick up “Prince Iñaki Monero-Muñoz’s assistant speaking how may I help you.” He had a thick Spanish accent it was almost impossible to understand him, but I managed I supposed

“Hello, This is Princess Evangeline of Audens. May I speak to Prince Iñaki?” I said as confidently as I could.

“Of course. Please hold” and with that, there was some annoying elevator music to while I waited.

“Hello?” I heard his voice say

“Hello, Iñaki! Its been too long since we’ve last spoken.” That was for a reason of course as Iñaki could be a little full of himself at times and I cut off contact a few years ago.

“Yes, It quite has Evangeline.”

I cleared my throat “Would you like to come to Audens for a gathering one of these days? I bet Father would love to see your parents again.”

He didn’t answer for a minute “ Well. Sure I’d be honored” Then I heard a voice in the background barking out commands of some sort

“ I Have to go, Princess Evangeline.” He put extra emphasis on the word princess as the loud commanding voice dialed down and hung up the phone.

I sighed. At least I got that over now. Father will be pleased I hope and Iñaki will come over for a lunch, I’ll try and be as charming as possible then life will go on.

I walked up to my room to prepare for bed. Hoping Kinsley wouldn’t be there as I wanted my privacy tonight. When I got to the door a gift box was on my bed with a note. It was from Iñaki. How in the world did he get it here so fast? It was just ten minutes ago that I had spoken to him. Whatever I suppose. I opened it to find a golden ruby tiara with a note that said, “I am looking forward to lunch tomorrow.”