Chapter 2

*Beep* Julia removed the room key from the door and turned the knob. "Here we are, a home away from home!" she giggled. "Julia, I'm so glad we decided to do this" I said as I fell into the bed. "If there's anyhting I needed right now, it was a vacation." "Of course, bestie! Let's get dressed and go to dinner." I sat up and rolled my suitcase to the bed.
Kneeling down I pushed my long brown hair away from my eyes and went through the clothes I brought: light wash denim shorts & a forest green crop top, black ripped skinny jeans and a white bodysuit, pajamas, undergarments and at the bottom of my suitcase was my favorite lavender dress. I pull it out and take it to the bathroom. Putting it on I admire the details of it, round neckline with flowy cap sleeves and a ruffled skirt that stopped a few inches above my knees. I smile to myself and give it a twirl before emerging from the bathroom.
"Hey Con, should I wear my red pants or-OH MY GOSH!! Cons, you look incredible in that dress!" I smile and do another twirl. "You think so?" "I know so! Lavender is perfect for your skin tone. Which by the way, I'm so jealous of that tan." I laughed and shook my head. A natural tan that emerges from the slightest bit of sun was something I got from my dad.
"So what were you asking me again?" "Oh! Red dress pants or brown?" "Which top?" I asked, looking in her suitcase. "I'm thinking my white cropped cami." "I like the red!" "Okay, same." she said as she grabbed the outfit and walked to the bathroom. "Give me just a minute to put it on and curl my hair."
I went back to my suitcase and took my makeup bag out. I had decided to wait to do my eye makeup after we arrived in Orlando so I could match it to my outfit. But purple eyeshadow isn't exactly cute with my piercing brown eyes. However, pink tones are perfect so I grabbed my Anastasia palette and got to work.
"So Julia, how have you been lately? I know last week you said you were looking for a new job, have you had any luck?" No response. "Julia?" Silence. I get up from my spot and walk into the bathroom to find Julia nearly in tears looking in the mirror. "Hey, what's wrong?" "What? Oh nothing." She quickly went back to tying the belt on her pants. "Jules, no, tell me what happened?" "Nothing happened." "Then what's going on, you're nearly in tears" I said calmly. I had a feeling I already knew. "I just...I hate my body. My hair is super dry and frizzy, I'm so short compared to you and I'm so pale. I look awful" now I was nearly in tears. But I couldn't let that show, my best friend needed positivity.
"That couldn't be further from the truth. You're so pretty and you always have been!" I pulled out some hair oil from my bag and ran a little through my hands and into her short blonde hair gently. "You're the perfect height in my opinion. One day, you're going to have a handsome guy come into your life who's like...six foot five who can easily pick you up and will think your perfectly porcelain skin is beautiful."
The edges of Julia's mouth perked up a little. I turned her shoulders so she faced me. "Now I have a question for you. Have you taken your meds today?" "Not yet, I don't like to take them because I feel so numb." I hugged her tightly. I hated when she was numb too. "Okay," I said. "You don't have to take them, I understand. Let's get out of this stuffy room and go grab something to eat!" She smiled. "Can we get something nice?" "Of course! What are you in the mood for?" "Is there an Olive Garden nearby?" "I think so, let me check...yes, my maps says there's one within walking distance." We grabbed our shoes and purses and headed out.