A x New x Life

A/N: Prepare for fluff overload towards the end. You have been warned.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The conference had been going on for about a month and a half at this point, with only a couple more weeks to go. Kurapika had been growing and maturing in his faith so well and very quickly, much to Rori's and Shea's pleasant surprise. He was taking it very seriously and spending all of his time trying to learn as much as he could. No one was forcing him. He was genuinely enjoying it.

Changes in him were already evident.

Seasoned members of the group were making comments that they look to him as a role model and would've never guessed that he was so new to the faith.

Shea had become his official spiritual mentor and they met almost daily. He was very helpful in answering a lot of the "big" questions about Christianity, as were some of the other guys in the group.

But even so, there were some things that Kurapika felt the most comfortable talking to Rori about. They had become good friends. She took a genuine interest in the Kurta clan and the culture and traditions they had, and would listen to Kurapika talk about it all for hours. And of course, his adventures with Pairo too. It meant the world to him. He had never met someone so interested, and it was nice to talk about the happy times of his clan for a change.

She told him about Sasuke Uchiha, an old friend of her father's who had a very similar thing happen to his clan. The feeling of not being alone in that was surreal.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

During one of his mentoring sessions with Shea, the two got to talking about various people in Chi Alpha. And the topic of Rori came up.

"Their band is called Time Is Nothing," Shea said. "They mostly do covers, but they're starting to work on some original stuff. Rori used to be so shy before joining the band, but she's grown so much. She has always been an insane drummer and vocalist, but she's so modest about it."

"They all seem very talented," Kurapika said.

"It'll be another thing to make her famous one of these days, I'm sure."

"Another thing? What do you mean?"

"You mean you didn't know? She's the Kazekage's daughter."

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Standing outside the hotel, Kurapika was loosely demonstrating to Rori some of his chain abilities.

"You would make a way better shinobi than me," she joked.

"Why do you say that?"

"I never wanted to be one so I don't practice. There are just a couple little things I can do, but I'm not very good. Like..."

She proceeded to lift some sand off the ground and formed a small dome.

"That would still make a pretty impressive defense, if it were bigger" he said.

"No, seriously, I'm not that good."

"You have a high standard to compare yourself to... don't you, daughter of the Kazekage?"

Her eyes widened at that statement.

"How did you..."

"Shea told me."

"Oh..."

Kurapika looked at her with a small glimpse of hurt in his eyes.

"Why didn't you tell me who you were?"