XII.

Jovena realized she and Kino fell asleep on the couch. Her head was on his shoulder and his head was on hers. She carefully lifted her head and leaned Kino's on the headrest. She looked at him for a moment before walking to the kitchen to grab a glass of water.

Jovena began wondering about her mother and Mrs. Kang. It was only a day in since they left and Jovena started watching over Kino. She wondered if they arrived at the base yet. Her hand grabbed the phone and dialed her mother's number.

Then, she realized something. If she called Margaret's number, it would go to her house phone. And Margaret nor Mrs. Kang didn't give her a phone number to call. That means they would have to call the house.

Jovena clicked her tongue and hooked the phone back onto the wall. She walked back into the living room. Unbeknownst to her, Kino had woken up due to the cold air replacing the body warmth from Jovena.

"What're you doing up?"

"I got cold." He answered with a sheepish grin. Jovena smiled and began to travel up the stairs. "I'm gonna get blankets and pillows."

Just as she told, she brought two pillows and blankets from Kino and her room.

"You can sleep on the couch, I'll sleep on the floor." Jovena said. She set his pillow against the armrest and dropped her things on the floor.

"No, I can't let you do that." Kino held her wrist.

"Why not? I'll be fine."

"Because you'll hurt your back if you do. Just stay up here with me. We can sit side by side while we sleep."

Jovena got up and collected her things. "If it makes you feel better, I'll sleep on the recliner."

Kino sighed in defeat and let her sleep on the recliner chair. He wanted her to be comfortable, but more like he wanted to feel her presence as he slept. Earlier, knowing that she was by his side, Kino could sleep with no hesitation. It was as if she radiated a calm, reassuring energy.

Jovena adjusted the chair so it was leaning back and made her temporary bed. She helped Kino lift his legs into the couch and covered him with the blanket. Before she got comfortable in the recliner, she watched Kino fall asleep and closed her eyes.

≫ ──── ≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫ ──── ≪

Jovena woke up around 7 o'clock in the morning. Once her eyes opened, she saw Kino sleeping on his stomach on the couch. His arms were hugging the pillow as his head laid on it. The blanket was only covering his lower body.

She got up and yanked the lever to put the seat back into its previous position. Jovena pulled herself out of the chair and tapped Kino's shoulder. He stirred a little and cracked his eyelids open.

"Wanna go upstairs and sleep?" Jovena questioned. Kino lazily shook his head and drifted off to sleep again. Jovena let out an airy laugh and wrapped her blanket around his body.

"Sleep well." She whispered, brushing a piece of his hair back. The teen set off to the kitchen and searched through the fridge for something to make for herself and Kino. Hongseok had brought enough food to last them a week so there were endless ideas of what to eat.

Bacon and scrambled eggs would be their go-to breakfast food when they were kids. Whenever Kino slept over at her house, Margaret would ask what they wanted to eat and they'd scream, "Bacon and eggs!".

Jovena grabbed the egg carton and opened the freezer above to see frozen food crowded. She had to move everything just to get to the bacon. She let the bacon defrost under the hot faucet and started cooking the eggs.

While she was cooking, Jovena often checked up on Kino. All those times, he kept sleeping. There was one time he woke up because he didn't want to stay on his stomach. Jovena helped him move on his back and left after he fell asleep once again. As the bacon and eggs were done, she collected both foods in their own plates.

She sat down in the dining room and waited for Kino to wake up, which was 10 minutes later. He had called her name and sat himself up.

"I can smell food." Kino pointed out, smiling.

Jovena nodded. "I made bacon and eggs. Nostalgia."

"Scrambled?"

"Of course!" Jovena chuckled. She rolled the wheelchair closer and moved his legs off the couch.

Unlike the other times, Kino dismissed her help. "I'm gonna try to do this myself."

"Are you sure? I mean, that's why I'm here. To help you."

"I'm positive. I can't be useless every time. I need to try to do things so I know what I can and can't do by myself." He gripped onto the armrest and pulled himself into the wheelchair with Jovena holding onto it.

"Okay, I'm ready." Kino looked up at her and grinned. Jovena returned the smile and brought him to the table where his plate was already made.

"Did you eat yet?" He asked, grabbing the fork off his plate.

"No, I wanted to wait so you have somebody to eat with." Jovena answered. She sat next to him and scooped some bacon and eggs with her own fork.

"Oh, you didn't have to wait for me. You must be starving."

"I didn't want to seem inconsiderate."

The two friends ate their breakfast in comfortable silence. Occasionally, one of them would pick up a conversation but the topic would casually die down and then another topic was brought up.

Jovena was grateful she decided to agree on taking care of Kino. She had been longing to see him but overtime, she forgot what it was like to be around him. That caused her to be nervous and shy when someone spoke about him or thinking of the fact that she'd have to be in the same house with him.

Apart from his memory being lost, Jovena felt like he never left. When she was with him, he made her feel youthful again. Frankly, she didn't like her years without Kino. It felt. . . dull.

She didn't have to worry anymore, for her happiness was brought back, along with Kino.