Girl Meets Boy

" Talk to him. " Maya said.

" Why? We have a great text relationship. "

" You know what's a better text relationship? " Maya asked.

" What? "

" Talk to him. " Maya said.

I showed Maya my texts to Lucas.

" He's right over there. " Maya said.

" Noooo! Too complicated over there. Lots can go wrong over there. The only thing that can go wrong over here is if I go over there. "

Maya pointed me to Lucas' direction, and I walked over. I attempted to say " Hi " a several times, but only mouths it.
Maya told me to talk to him by mouthing it.

" *sniffed Lucas' neck and I went back to Maya* How'd I do? "

" You smelled him. " Maya said.

" Yup. "

" You smelled him is what you did. " Maya said.

" I walk through life, the way I walk through life. "

" Can we please talk about this? " Maya asked.

I texted Maya and she received my text.

" Nope. " Maya said.

" You guys don't connect with each other. It's like you can't exist without these. You use emoticons rather than emotions. You're an unfeeling generation of zombies. *Maya and I mimic zombies* Stop eating her. You're late, Miss Myzell. " my dad said.

" (flatly) My goldfish died. " Miss Myzell said.

" You see? This is what I'm talking about. Miss Myzell has clearly suffered a tragic loss. Yet, she does not seem in touch with her actual emotions! " my dad said.

" (flatly) Excuse me? I am crying my eyes out. I'm gonna have to leave class early. *exited the room* " Miss Myzell said.

" Oh, she actually made it out the door this time. *opens the door* " my dad said.

" *appears in the doorway* I actually made it out the door this time! " Miss Myzell said.

" Dad, adjust and deal. Cell phones have been around for, like, ever. "

" It'll amaze you to know that there was a whole world before you and cell phones." My dad said.

" And it'll amaze you to know that I have 394 friends in here. ( taps my cell phone screen) "

" And I'm amazed that you believe that. " My dad said.

" (draws a line across the chalkboard) This is a timeline of all human existence. Starting here, (points at the start of the timeline) is everyone who ever lived, laughed, loved, and understood the value of life. The cellphone era, which begins right around here, (draws a line almost at the end of the timeline) pretty much destroys all of that. Way to go, you. " My dad added.

" (raises his hand) Sir, if I may take a different position? " Lucas asked.

" Yeah, save me, Mr. Friar. Do I go too far? " my dad said.

" Always, sir. I understand your point, but I use my phone to video chat my old friends and to find out what's going on in Texas. " Lucas said.

" Yeah. How else can he keep tabs on all the hoedowns and cattle pageants? " Maya said.

" Maya! "

" It's okay, Riley. I'm unaffected by Maya's views of country life. As my Uncle Buster always says, "Be like an eagle and soar above the mockingbird." Lucas said.