Chapter One: That Awkward Moment When You Can't Remember Who You Are

“Harley, you need to get up! You’re going to be late for school at this pace.” There’s an unfamiliar woman standing in the doorway. Rubbing sleep from my eyes, I sit up only to be confused and hazy once again.

“Who’s Harley? Where the hell am I?” Looking around the room, my eyes come in contact with posters everywhere. Where there aren’t posters, there is chipping black paint on the walls and what I assume to be dirty clothes on the floor. Whoever lives here sure doesn’t know how to clean up after themselves.

“Ha ha. Very funny, the whole ‘who am I’ routine again. Really? You need to get some new jokes just like how you need to get your ass up. Now. It’s 7:45 and the warning bell rings at 8:15 young lady.” The strange woman stalks off, the apron that had been tied around her waist flapping in the wind.

Well crap. Hopping out of the warm, strange bed, I manuever myself around the dirty room as best as possible. Finding a dresser under all the mess, I yank a drawer open only to be met with black. Black clothes everywhere. Apparently the person who owns this room hadn’t ever heard of more than one color.

Deciding to not be picky due to my lack of time, I strip out of the generic pajama top and put on a shirt advertising something known as ‘Led Zeppelin’. Shrugging into a pair of black skinny jeans that were strewn on the floor, I exit the stranger’s room.

Closing the door behind me, I’m met with an unfamiliar hallway. Unlike the room, this space is very tidy and minimalistic. There is hardwood floor that’s cold under my feet and puts some pep into my step. Wandering aimlessly down the hall, I notice a door open and without thought, meander in.

It’s just what I was looking for- a bathroom. Clicking the door shut, I take a breath to brace myself before looking into the mirror that evades half of the wall. What I’m met with is an unfamiliar girl with long, obviously dyed black hair and way too much makeup on looking back at me. This girl-me?-is a trainwreck. Nearly black eyeshadow takes up her entire eyelid and makes her look like a skunk and blood red lipstick is smeared across her lips, her skin paling in comparison to all of the dark colors. The hair looks like it hasn’t been washed in days, and when I run a tentative hand through it, I get confirmation from the oily texture. Ew. Has this girl never heard of personal hygiene?

Finding a washcloth and turning on the faucet water, I wet it a little bit before wiping this girls-my-face. Just one swipe makes a tremendous difference, the white wash cloth a couple of shades darker than it had been a few moments ago.

“Harley! It’s 7:50!” I recognize the voice from the woman who was yelling at me earlier, and sigh. No where near enough time to take the proper shower that this body desperately needs. Taking a whiff, relief floods me as there is no odor  that reveals just how long this body has been without a shower. Thinking creatively, I use the oily hair to my advantage, and put it in two simple braids.

After brushing my teeth and taking a look in the mirror with slightly more satisfying results, I give up for the time being and head back in the hallway. At the same time, there’s a boy with light blonde hair stepping out of another room. He looks to be about 19, or at least old enough to not be in school. He’d be hot, but there’s a tugging in my stomach that says No No No, with the feeling of family washing over me. He’s must be a brother or something. I don’t know.

When the boy-man- notices me staring, his eyebrows crinkle. “What the fuck are you staring at, freak?”

Whoa. Rude much? “Um, where are the stairs?” Feeling kind of hurt, I glance around, hoping to find them before he can give me a reply, but with no luck.

Instead of answering the simple question, the rude man continues to interrogate me. “Wow Harley, really? We have lived here for 10 years, stop being dumber than usual. How high are you?” Crossing his muscled arms across his chest, I shrink in scrutiny.