The Start

I was sitting in the park on one of the coldest days in the year, alone. there wasn't snow or wind or rain, it was just freezing cold and I could barely feel my hands. I enjoyed It though, it was refreshing to be numb for a while on the outside because there was nothing but hurt feelings on the inside. I had just been dumped outside of my high school by my boyfriend of exactly one year, Aaron. After that humiliation I walked to the park knowing I would get to be alone. I sat and thought about all the fun we'd had and then I began to cry and rock myself gently on the swing.

        After a few minutes of that I wiped my tears, got up, and paced the mulch covered ground in front of the swing and all of the sudden I was furious. I didn't deserve that! I had been a good girlfriend, I never cheated, I never really whined, I thought we were OK. THIS IS ALL HIS FAULT! He's the one who ruined us, with all his talk about the future and plans, he ruined me because I had been happy until he started this mess.

        I was mumbling all kinds of incoherent, angry words, but then, "Hey stranger, you okay?" I turned around and saw someone that I would never have expected to see back here, "James? Is that really you? What are you doing here?" I said. "What, not excited to see me? Ouch," He said with a smirk on his lips. "Its just surprising," I exclaimed. "I'm back for good now," he said. James had left our school and town our first year of high school together, then it had been the last year and he was back from God knows where.

        For the first time in a long time I looked at him, he was tall and seemingly more muscular than the last time I saw him. He had dark brown hair, almost wild with curls. I had remembered how much I had missed him since he was gone, he was my best friend at one time. I ran up to him and hugged him as tight as I could and he attempted hugging me back. I let go and stood back to stare at him. "Hi," I said. "Hey," he replied and the confused look on his face snapped me back to reality.

        "What are you doing here back in town? And in the park?" I asked, genuinely curious. "Well I already told you I've come to stay and live here in town. I'm in the park because I knew you'd be here," he explained. "Stalking me?" I joked and he flashed a beautiful smile at me before saying, "Lets go to the cafe, I dont like this cold too much."

        "If you don't like the cold, I don't know why you thought coming here would be a good idea," I said and giggled as we walked down the path out of the park. "Well, you're here" he said and then blushed a little and looked up at the bare trees.