Chapter Two

Firey yawned and shifted his feet. He stared aimlessly at the crowd of shoppers within the MePhone Products store. A bunch of people were buzzing about the new MePhone 360.

This was beginning to get stupid. The MePhone 20 was just released two years ago. He had one of those himself. This job was fucking nuts.

"Yo Firey," Snowball, his security partner, was calling out to him from the other side of the doorway.

Firey adjusted the sleeve of his security uniform as he replied, "What's the matter dude?"

"I was kinda wondering for the past hour," Snowball furrowed his eyebrows, "where you went earlier today. You were gone for about half an hour!"

"Oh," Firey yawned again. "I just went out."

"You left me alone on the shift!"

Firey waved his hand in dismissal. "No matter, at least nothing happened while I was gone."

Snowball grunted. "Yeah, whatever. Nothing really happens at this job."

Firey exhaled sharply. "Dude, this job is the most boring job ever. I've been here for longer than you have, and nothing has ever happened. You stand in front of the doors and make sure no one walks past without purchasing a stupid MePhone or MePad."

Snowball pursed his lips. "Pay is good though. That's why I'm here."

Firey's lips tightened. "Kinda wanna work somewhere else. Maybe closer to Needle."

Snowball looked interested. "Ohhh yeah. You guys went on this date thing a few nights ago. How was it?"

Firey smiled and looked down at the floor. "I really like her. She's cool."

Snowball frowned. "Still not as much as Leafy, huh."

Firey snapped his head back up before glaring at Snowball's bemused face. "Chill out, dude! I'll warm up to her. It's been more than enough time for me to get over Leafy, and I've finally done it. I'm going over to Needle's tonight anyway." He glanced at his wristwatch. "Our shift is over in about ten minutes. We have to wait for Eraser and Pen to show up for their shift before we can leave though."

"Pen?" Snowball looked confused. "I thought he worked at the coffee shop on main road."

Firey looked up from his watch. "Oh yeah, he does. In the morning. But he's started working here now in order to pay off his debt faster."

Snowball deadpanned. "He's still in debt? I guess I haven't caught up with him in a while."

Eraser and Pen then showed up in the doorway, clad in their security uniforms. Pen looked pretty good with an earpiece.

"And Firey and Snowball usually take the shift before us. The morning to noon shift." Eraser seemed to be telling Pen how things worked around MePhone Products security.

"You guys are like," Snowball glanced at his own wristwatch, "Six minutes early."

"Whatever dude. Be glad we're here to keep you company." Eraser chucked. He turned to Pen. "Also be glad we don't work the overnight shift."

Firey winced. The overnight shift. He used to work that. Back when he was with Leafy.

It was pretty painful to pry himself out of bed with her at midnight to go work. And when he got home, he pretty much slept all day. He doesn't like to think of how lonely she must have been.

"The overnight shift is terrible man," Firey grimaced. "I used to work that. Hated every minute of it."

"Yeah, I would too," said Pen. "I work multiple jobs. Can't take a shift that'll affect my performance in my other jobs."