Act I

(note: the Fates are in italics)

It was unusually calm that day. The sky was grey as usual, but no rain and it wasn't freezing cold. You were lucky if that ever happened. The winters were brutal and the summers were no better. Spring and fall were nonexistent. People begged in the streets, scrapping for food. But those with always gave to those without. That was the better part of living in this small community. Anywhere else people would steal and cheat one another, but here everyone seemed to have each other's backs. It also helped that a certain goddess would stay there during the spring and summer. It was right next to the railroad line to hell after all.

An old, rundown bar was the only place that continued to get business. It's been there forever and has the stains and rips on the tables and chairs to prove it. The owner, everyone called him Doc, let people stay in the rooms above the bar. It was the place everyone gathered, to drink, to laugh, to be together, and listened to the most gifted voice any of them had heard.

Tom was a poor boy. But Doc let him stay in one of the rooms in exchange for work. He even let him sing to the patrons on gloomy days. Today, Tom sat at one of the tables with his lyre, absentmindedly strumming the strings. Mr. Hermes was suppose to meet him for lunch. Tom had the day off and Mr. Hermes had business in the area. Mr. Hermes was away more, off doing whatever it is gods do. When his mother left him, Mr. Hermes took him in. He made sure Tom stayed out of trouble and always encouraged him to sing because of how beautiful his voice was. One of the perks of having a Muse for a mother.

The front door of the bar opened and in walked Mr. Hermes and a girl Tom had never see before. He swore that when he saw her, the world shined brighter. She was beautiful, unlike any girl he had ever met. She smiled and said something to Mr. Hermes, and they went their separate ways, her going to an unoccupied table, and Mr. Hermes coming over to him. Tom got up and met him half way.

Mr. Hermes greeted him. "Hey, brother-"

"Who was that?" Tom cut him off.

"Oh," Mr. Hermes glanced back a the girl. "Just some hungry, young girl. Bumped into her outside, asked if I had a match."

"Where'd she come from?"

"Don't know," Mr. Hermes shrugged. "Said she was tryin' ta escape the storm or somethin'." Mr. Hermes went to sit at the table Tom had occupied earlier, but stopped when Tom didn't follow. He was still looking at the girl, who was playing with the flame of a candle. He went back and put his hand on Tom's shoulder. "You wanna talk ta her?"

Tom nodded. "Yes."

Mr. Hermes nodded toward the girl with a smile. "Go on."

Tom looked around for something to give her and spotted the napkin on the table. He rolled up the end and tore the top to make the napkin look like a flower. Proud of his work, he started to walk over to the girl's table when Mr. Hermes called to him.

"Tom!"

Tom turned back. "Yes?"

"Don't come on too strong," Mr. Hermes advised.

Tom nodded and took a deep breathe. He approached the girl's table, his heart beating out of his chest.

When Tom stood in front of her, he held out his napkin flower and said, "Come home with me."

The girl looked up from her flame. "I'm sorry, who are you?"

"The man whose gonna marry you," he said proudly. "I'm Tom."

"Okay?" She turned to Mr. Hermes who saw Tom's opening line and came to help. "Um... He always like this?" she whispered.

Mr. Hermes shrugged. "Pretty much."