Act II

The train ride down to Hadestown wasn't so bad. Once the train went below the earth, the outside went dark. (Y/N) couldn't see a thing out the windows other than the unending void. The train rocked back and forth, which gave her the only indication that they were moving. She was alone, the only one on the train. It was a fairly normal train, a little nicer, but not unlike any other one she had ridden. It had red and maroon carpeting with velvet seats. Probably so people can a little bit of comfort before they leave the world.

(Y/N) thought of Orpheus up above. She loved him with all her heart, but she needed to do this. She had no other choice. Maybe if he had opened the door, but that didn't matter now.

When the train stopped, she didn't notice. It wasn't until the man who took her ticket opened the the door to her cart. He nodded for her to follow. Hadestown was brighter than (Y/N) expected. There was a power grid that lit up the city, but smog also seemed to cloud it. Factories pumped out automobiles, and oil drums. The most notable thing was the giant wall that surrounded the town. Workers placed cinder bricks and razor wire on top, making it higher and higher.

"Welcome to the electric city," Mr. Hades said. He had waiting for her by the train station, he knew that she would be arriving. "There are papers to be signed."

He lead (Y/N) across the factory floor to his office. The papers were already written up, all she had to do was sign on the dotted line. (Y/N) was too excited to read every word. She knew that she was free, wouldn't have to worry about being hungry or cold ever again. They walked through one of the factories and up a spiral set of stairs up to his office.

"Close the door behind you," Mr. Hades instructed. (Y/N) did as he said. Mr. Hades pulled open a filing cabinet from behind his desk and pulled out several papers for her to sign. "Just sign on the line and you'll be free."

(Y/N) picked up the pen he laid down and signed her life away.

Mr. Hades took the papers and handed her pair of overalls for her. "Your work clothes." He left his office so she could change then escorted her out of the factory to the wall. There were workers and forklifts and cement bricks and razor wires. "Now, get in line with the others." Mr. Hades left her to her work.

She did as she told and lined up with the other workers. They were on the line of laying wet cement down on the wall for the bricks to be stacked on top. The people had their heads bent down and their eyes were glazed over.

"Hi, I'm (Y/N)," she greeted the person in front of her. They didn't respond, didn't even turn around. "Hello?" No one around her seemed to acknowledge her. They just continued working on the wall. "Doesn't anybody hear me?"

They can. But why would they care? You don't have a name down here. No one does.

"Why won't they look at me?"

They can look, but they don't see. Their eyes glossed over only seeing the work and the wall that sets them free. It's easier. Your eyes will look like that one day.

"But-"

What did you expect? You signed your life away. You'll forget who you are just like the rest of them.

"No." (Y/N) ran out of the line back toward the train, "I have to go." Where was the station again? All around her was just factories and darkness beyond the town. Did the station just disappear?

Where do you expect to go? You're dead sweetheart. You punched in and now you can't punch out.

"No," (Y/N) whispered, her knees hitting the ground in a painless thud. "No."

---

The workers continued to work under the watchful eye Mr. Hades. But it was a different story when the he turned his back. What he didn't know, he wouldn't mind.