Chapter 169

Inside the inn, Bai Han and Rin sat in the dining room, steaming bowls of soup in front of them. On the other side of the room, An Sun and Aiguo sat a few tables away from them.

"Why do we need to sit so far away from them?" Aiguo gazed at the two quietly conversing, a scowl on his face.

An Sun calmly sipped his soup and glanced up.

"They need time to bond."

At that moment, Aiguo's face suddenly scrunched up into one of disgust. The corners of An Sun's mouth twitched.

"Grandfather and granddaughter bonding." He emphasized.

Aiguo's eyes went wide with shock, and he looked over at Rin, then Bai Han.

"So that's her family..." He quietly murmured to himself.

Pressing his lips together, Aiguo looked back down at his bowl of soup and quietly stirred. Very quickly, his doom and gloom was noticed by An Sun, who simply stared at the boy in silence.

Suddenly brightening back up, Aiguo glanced up at An Sun. He took in the man's features and narrowed his eyes.

"Who are you to Rin?"

An Sun raised one sharp brow. Something about the kid's tone sounded off. When he opened his mouth to respond, An Sun suddenly went silent.

What was he supposed to say?

He kidnapped, forcefully took her in as his strategist, and only went to search for her after forging a brotherly bond because he thought she was a man?

Cold sweat poured down An Sun's back. For once, he felt silence was the best response.

In the end, a dry cough came out of him as he said, "We're friends."

It wasn't a lie.

Aiguo looked at him with doubtful eyes. In the next few seconds, he slumped in his chair and huffed.

"Well don't get any ideas. In the future, when I get older, Rin is going to be my wife! She already promised me!"

Caught off guard by this sudden statement, An Sun's eyes went wide, the corner of his mouth twitched uncontrollably.

He didn't know how to react.

However, slightly amused by the boy's smug expression, a corner of his lips hooked up in a smirk. m

"Oh yeah?" An Sun raised his cup to his lips to drown out his next words. "Good luck with that, kid."

"What did you say?" Aiguo's eyes narrowed.

An Sun casually waved his hand and continued to drink his water, a smile hidden behind his cup as he glanced over at the girl on the other side of the room.

...

Occurring at the same time, Rin quietly sipped her soup, a blanket draped over her body. After returning to the inn and reuniting with her grandfather, Bai Han was quick to notice the swollenness of her ankle.

In a state of alarm, he rushed her inside, ordered the inn workers to make a bowl of soup, bring a blanket and something to treat her ankle.

Right now, the two sat across from one another in silence. While drinking her soup, Rin glimpsed up and met with her grandfather's burning silver eyes.

"The soup tastes good." She said lightly.

Bai Han let out a mocking snort. "You should try their rice."

Rin smiled and glanced back down at her bowl. "Do you remember the soup Uncle Guo would make during the winter?"

Bai Han nodded and his eyes filled with an immediate smile. "He always cooked better than me, huh?"