Chapter 70

"What?"

Inside the provincial office of Guando, Rin, Wei Jingyi, a prime minister and a few additional generals and soldiers, gathered around the room.

"What do you mean we're surrendering? Where's Governor Tao?" A general creased his brows roughly.

Rin, now thin and frail with a delicate and weary expression, standing in front of the broad table, lightly coughs before staring at the group of men with inscrutable eyes.

"Governor Tao is dead."

Following her words, the entire room became hushed - everyone's complexioned whitened, eyes widening.

"W...What?" The general mumbled.

"Governor Tao is dead. His final words were for us to surrender and offer his head as a peace treaty for the survival of the citizens." Rin responded casually.

The general hearing her words again stumbled backward with his gaze on the floor. Clenching his fists tightly, the general's cold eyes glance up toward Rin.

"You...You let him..."

"General, I hope you understand as someone who served Governor Tao, I had no right to interfere in his decision on defending his people. From the beginning, this was his fight, not mine." Rin coldly cut him off.

Grinding his teeth hatefully, the general continues to glare at Rin, straightening up his stance. Rin set her eyes on the general with indifferent eyes, unnerved by his threatening aura.

Noting the tense air, a soldier speaks up.

"Even so, surrendering...We can't just do so after everything we've done. We've won two battles between the Tuhan. There's still a chance."

Coolly glancing at the soldier who spoke, Rin narrows her eyes. "Have you forgotten whose captain here? Not to mention our initial victory was based on luck, our second was due to timing and reinforcements. Right now we have no reinforcements and are certainly not going to fight based on luck."

"But..."

"Do as Captain Bai says." A woman's frail voice sounded.

Everyone looked in the direction of the soft voice. Standing in front of the entrance was a slim middle-aged lady – a maidservant supporting her as she walked.

Compared to her previous elegant and dignified appearance, the woman's complexion was slightly pale and her eyes were dimly lit without a trace of light - it was as if she were a walking corpse.

"Madam Tao." Everyone courteously lowered their heads upon identifying the woman.

Lifting her frail hand, the governor's wife calmly shifts her jet-black eyes toward the general.

"Release the order to our surrender."

"But Madam..."

Sharpening her black eyes, the woman softly speaks. "Do you wish for my husband's sacrifice to be in vain? He gave up his life to defend his people. If those were his final wishes you will not hesitate to follow them through."

The general lowers his head gently. "Yes, Madam Tao."

Casually, the woman shifts her gaze toward Rin – a faint glimmer of pain hidden in her eyes, along with another emotion that was unseen by the rest of the men.

"Captain Bai I thank you for everything you've done, you granted us the strength to fight until the very end."

"Madam Tao." Rin stared uneasily at the woman with a complicated expression. Parting her lips, Rin hesitates to speak before she quietly lowers her head. "Thank you for your sincerity."