Chapter Nine

I follow Baz along the wall for the majority of the day. The only rest we had was when the sun was above us. We paused to eat a light lunch and then made our way back towards camp.

Actually, I wouldn't call it a camp. It's practically a small town. But I'm definitely not calling it 'home'.

Either way, the route we travelled along today was truly eye-opening. It really makes you recognize the fact that the maze is humongous and you're just this tiny person trapped inside.

When we get back to the stairs, Baz immediately starts heading down, but I pause and turn back towards the maze. I take a deep breath and let it out as my gaze wanders over the vastness of it. It's quite intimidating.

"Are you coming or not?"

I jump, startled out of my wandering thoughts. Thank goodness the walls are wide, so at least I don't fall off.

"Coming!" I call and hurry down the stairs after him.

Arriving at the shed, I place our bag in the refill bucket while Baz removes his scout jacket and hangs it on an empty hook.

"Come on," he says. "Let's go grab something to eat." And with that, he walks out the door.

I follow after him and he slows down to match my pace.

"So how did you enjoy your first time travelling above the maze?"

"Hmm?" I answer. "Oh, it was fun. Though I wonder why you bother going back and forth. Why not just pack everything and bring it along. Just camp out on top of the walls."

Baz nods in understanding, eyes facing forward. "That's a good point. We thought of doing that at first, but then decided to map out the maze in case more people end up here and need to get out."

Wow, these are some nice people, I think. Out loud, I say, "I see what you mean."

I let out a long sigh, then shake my head. There's something in the back of my mind, but I can't pinpoint what it is exactly.

"What are you thinking about?"

"What?" I say, startled. Ugh, I zoned out again. "Sorry."

Baz chuckles as I sigh. "It's fine," he replies. "I was just wondering what you were thinking about?"

"Nothing much," I reply. "Just something funny in the back of my head." Then I remember. "Oh, hey. I've been meaning to ask you, do you ever get this voice in your head that just tells you something? Like when you're stuck and the voice just tells you to do something and you just trust it?"

You mean this voice?

I can't help it. At that moment, my sanity is at its wits' end and can do nothing else except scream.

That is, until Baz grabs my arm and practically drags me to the side of a building.

"Shush!" Baz whips his head around frantically, eyes wide. "No one else knows, so keep it down please."

I freeze at that and take a deep breath, calming down. Or, at least, I try to. My stomach is still a mess, no matter what I try to make it stop. I feel like I'm going to be sick.

Eventually, my will power works its magic and I no longer feel like emptying out my insides. Then I finally ask the most important question to me in this moment.

"What do you mean, no one knows?"

Baz sighs and drags a hand down his face. "I only found out about this the day before you came and tried to go up the stairs. I saw through your eyes the split in the maze and automatically knew which way to go. I could hear your panicked thoughts, and I was also in shock so I didn't really think about it until it happened again the next day. Then again when I heard your coffee thoughts."

I stare at him, stunned. He rubs the back of his neck sheepishly. "I didn't know it was you till I answered your questions. The way you reacted, I couldn't believe it. And I know you saw me staring at you. I'm surprised you didn't call me out right then and there." He laughs a little at that, then goes silent. I haven't moved yet, practically a statue now.

Baz coughs uncertainly. "Um, are you going to say anything?"

I blink. Shake my head. "There's nothing to say."

He lets out a sigh and physically relaxes. "Well, I'm glad we got that out of the way."

I smile slightly at that. "The way you say that makes it sound like there's more I don't know about."

But when his eyes widen and he stutters, "N-no. T-that's not true," I know I've found a weak spot.

I fix him with a glare. Baz quickly looks down. I shake my head, sighing—which I find I've been doing a lot more of lately. He can't even look me in the eyes.

"Baz," I say, taking a step towards him.

He flinches.

I stop. Step back. "Tell me the truth."

He seems to shrink into himself. I might have been a little hard on him. But he's their leader, isn't he? I think to myself. He should be able to take some criticism.

"Baz—" I try again.

He cuts me off. "Stop. Don't call me that," he says seriously. "That's not my real name."

I wait for him to continue.

Baz—wait, no. That's not his name. Well, whatever his name is, leans against the wall and sighs, sliding down to sit on the ground. He stays silent. I can tell he doesn't want to talk anymore, but I can't drop this topic after the fact that he's hiding things as simple as his name. How can I trust anything else he's told me before?

Standing in front of him, I cross my arms. "What's your real name then?"

He doesn't reply.

I let out a huff. That's fine. I can wait all day if I have to.

Finally, when I think he's never going to say anything, he lets out another long sigh.

"Kai. My name is Kai."