Chapter Ten

I blink. Wow. I wasn't expecting that. But, like, I'm not complaining. The name suits him.

Kai coughs awkwardly. I quickly shake my head again. At this point, I'm going to have whiplash from shaking my head so much.

"Okay then, Kai," I sigh. "Anything else important you want to tell me?"

Now it's his turn to shake his head rapidly. I don't really believe him, but it's not like I can force him to spill everything, so I drop it for now.

Just then, Charlie walks by the alley that Kai and I are currently in. Perfect timing. I can't help smiling. Glancing back at Kai, I tell him, "Come on, let's go get something to eat."

Running out of the alley, I call out to Charlie. "Wait up!" Kai follows slowly behind.

Charlie spots me and slows down so that I can catch up to him. He smiles. "Hey," he says. "How was your little tour of the wall?"

I look up and pretend to think about it. "Hmm, it was definitely interesting," I drawl. He chuckles at that. I punch him in the arm, laughing a little as well.

"Ouch," he laughs. "That actually hurt."

"So does that make me strong, or does that make you weak?" I smirk.

Charlie groans in frustration. "Why are you like this?"

I shrug and half-walk-half-skip to the dining hall, leaving him behind. I can still hear him laughing after me.

I slow to a walk as I arrive at the building and enter through the tall doors. I'm so busy looking around the large space of the room that I don't see where I'm walking. I crash into someone and quickly jump back.

"Sorry," I say in a rush, turning my gaze towards the floor.

"Don't worry. It's fine," a voice says, chuckling.

Wait. I freeze. I know that voice.

I look up and gasp, my eyes widening. He just stares at me, smirking. Then my shock subsides and my senses come flooding back. I have never hated him more than right now.

Fixing him with a glare, he widens his eyes innocently and holds his hands up to show peace. "Woah," he says, slightly nervous. "Easy there, tiger." I guess he didn't think I'd react this way.

"Don't call me that," I answer sharply. "What are you doing here?"

Slowly, like he doesn't know how I'll react—which he doesn't—he lowers his hands. "Same reason as you. Got stuck here just like everyone else."

I nod and raise an eyebrow. "Sure."

"I'm serious!"

"Well, I'm off now. Hopefully, I don't see you for a long while." With that, I walk past him.

Grabbing a tray from the stack, I follow the line and pick up a mac 'n' cheese along the way.

Exiting the line, I survey the cafeteria for an empty seat. Lucky for me, I spot Lucy nearby. Weaving through the many tables, I head towards her. She notices me as I near her seat and waves me over, smiling.

I grin back at her as I place my tray next to hers. I swing my leg over the bench and sit.

"Hey!" she exclaims. "How have you been?"

I reply with, "I'm good."

"Well, that's good to hear. Charlie told me about your little fall yesterday."

Ah, that makes sense.

"I'm fine now," I tell her. "What about you? How's your sister?"