Chapter 15

Ben left early the next morning to inform Washington of our potential new asset in the city. I was reluctant to let him go, but I knew that it would be foolish to think that I could persuade him to stay. He kissed me goodbye and I knew that I wouldn't see him again until, perhaps the war was over. I swallowed the lump in my throat and headed to town to help with my sadness. I was about halfway there when I heard a horde of horses approaching my location. I looked behind me and saw men in green uniforms on horseback with muskets and swords attached to their hips. They slowed as they approached me. I saw who was leading the pack and nearly lost my balance.

"Miss. Woodhull, what a lovely surprise." He snickered getting off his horse.

"Captain Simcoe. I hardly recognized you." I said trying to figure out how to get out of this situation.

"Do you like my new uniform? I'm leading the Queen's Rangers now. We're here to protect Setauket from those nasty rebels. And to make sure they never show their faces here again. You're safe now." He said trying to gauge my reaction.

"Thank you, Captain." I said looking up at the other men. I froze when I saw a familiar face. "Jordan?" I asked confused. He looked away ashamed. 

"His name isn't Jordan anymore, Miss. Woodhull. It's Akinbode. He's my second." Simcoe said with a smirk.

"That's wonderful, if you gentlemen will excuse me, I really must be getting home." I said trying to get away from this man as quickly as possible. 

"Wait, Miss. Woodhull." Simcoe said grabbing my arm.

"Yes, Captain?" I asked looking into his cold, dead eyes. 

"Aren't you going to welcome me home?" He challenged.

"Of course. Welcome home, Captain." I said challenging him back. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I really must be going." I said looking at his hand still around my arm. 

"Of course, Miss. Woodhull. I will see you later." He said releasing my arm. He watched me walk past him and his men smirked at me from their horses. This was not going to be good for Setauket. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I arrived at Whitehall a few minutes later still reeling about my interaction with Simcoe. 

"Elizabeth, is that you, dear?" Father asked from his study. 

"Yes, father." I answered walking to see him. 

"What's wrong?" He asked seeing the look on my face.

"I went for a walk early this morning and saw Captain Simcoe and the Queen's Rangers. He's back in town, father." I said still in disbelief.

"He's back after what he's done?" He asked surprised and I nodded.

"What did he say to you?" He asked growing worried.

"That he was here to protect us from the rebels." I answered.

"Protect?" Father scoffed.

"His men didn't look honorable or just. They looked like common thieves." I said describing the men I saw.

"I don't want you going anywhere near any of them, do you understand?" Father said.

"Don't worry, father. I won't." I said as there was a knock at the door.

"Aberdeen, who is it?" Father called. There was no answer as soldiers began coming in with someone's belongings.

"What on earth is all this?" I asked confused. Then Major Hewlett walked accompanied by Anna.