Chapter Thirty

© 2020 just_cait_here

"Voices and Picnics"
•••

Kenya POV

Somebody knocked on my door, and, heaving a heavy sigh, I shouted for them to come in.

I had been laying on my bed staring blankly at the ceiling for the past few hours. Nothing made sense anymore. Even if it did.... I couldn't bring myself to move.

There was nothing left to keep me going.

"Miss Bennett, my name is Emilia Clark. I live in the room next to yours."

"How lovely, although I have a question for you."

The raven haired woman before me tilted her head curiously. "Of course."

"Who asked?" I say, letting iciness into my tone.

"Excuse me? I don't get your meaning."

I sigh in exasperation. "Go away, lady."

"Please, call me Emilia."

"Go. Away. Lady." I repeat myself, voice cold.

I hear a frustrated huff.
"I can see they weren't exaggerating. You really are a bitch."

"Tell me something I haven't heard before. You're boring me. If you have a point, get to it. I don't have all the time in the world.... oh wait. I do."

Another annoyed intake of air.
"You are required to come to a picnic being held to celebrate your joining of the Immortals Assemble."

"Oh so that's what he calls his little group? Creative." I drawl.

"Ugh. Just be there."

My neighbor storms out of the room, slamming the door behind herself.

"Someone has a temper," I mutter under my breath, rolling off the bed and throwing my closet open. Ew. Who wears stuff like this?

I pick through the outfits, grimacing harder with each new touch of the scratchy fabric or gaudy fake gems.

William had given me a button I could press if I needed anything, explaining it was an accessory granted for the first week of settling in at the mansion.
I walked over to it and slammed it several times, falling into the beanbag on the ground and sitting there, staring at the door with my arms crossed.

Than, something came running around the corner.

A snarling hound, teeth exposed in a snarl, eyes glinting in the darkness.

•••

"Don't you dare howl, you stupid mutt." I say, backing away slowly.

In the distance there is crazed shouts coming from the men hunting me, following by dog's incessant baying.
The hound in front of me tilts its head, than, almost cheekily, lets out a eerie sounding howl.

"Well damn." I say, looking around desperately.

There's nowhere to go. Nowhere to hide.

I pull out my knife, and charge my pursuers—

•••