FOURTEEN

xiv.

—ALL Savannah could remember from that moment was screaming and the raw throat that accompanied

—ALL Savannah could remember from that moment was screaming and the raw throat that accompanied. The tears in her eyes no longer registered as they streamed down her face and to the ground, hitting the concrete and evaporating on impact. The chains coiled around her torso felt less constricting than the smoky air in that moment.

Shrieking had only ever created more issues than it solved, but Savannah could care less because Leo was probably dead and the fire was going to get her and her other friends next. Her head felt like splitting open in agony.

The horrific sound of a chain link snapping caused a nauseous feeling to return. And the sound of Ma Gasket's gurgled screech as something heavy crushed her did nothing to dull Savannah's delirium. As she finally opened her drowning eyes, she noticed the flames had overtaken much of the warehouse, fully enveloping the many cars, lifts ... and where Leo had stood. Things were toppling down around them, destroying Monocle Motors, Assembly Plant 1. Savannah's breath cut off as she noticed Piper leaning away from a particularly strong lick of flame.

No, no, no! Not Piper too, please!

Tend the fire. If ever there was a dire situation, this would be it!

Tend the fire? Tend it how?!

Savannah hiccuped uncomfortably through her tears as she tried her best to calm herself down, because maybe if she calmed down, the fire would do the same. It was a long shot and definitely not something easily accomplished when the threat of dying was two centimeters away. At first, nothing changed, and Savannah swore she could feel the resistance from the chaotic element. It pushed back against her mind because containing it should really be impossible.

  But she was hurt. Hurt that Leo had just died before her eyes and now Piper was at risk. Jason was fully unconscious and unaware of what was happening, therefore, he couldn't be the hero.

  "STOP!" Her lungs ached with her sudden will-power.

  Savannah was worried when nothing happened again. The firestorm continued to rage on for another moment as she heaved a tremendous breath. But it was as if the world stilled in a frozen picture as she blinked.

The life of the fire dwindled down with each shuttered breath Savannah took. Each inhale dragged the oxygen away from the fire and to her. Her head cleared up slowly but surely as the fire shimmered down to ashes, lapping up the rest of the kerosene.

As the remnants of heat disappeared, Savannah went limp in the chain's hold, her small pool of will-power completely depleted. Her eyes fell shut, fully prepared to pass out as all the blood collected in her head.

But a defiant voice echoed in Savannah's ears and she resisted the urge to seep into unconscious for just a minute longer.

"I warned you I'd destroy you with fire," the voice said, sounding distinctly like Leo. Savannah's heart wrenched, just knowing she was imagining it.