three

mira
i stared down at the folded up slip of paper that I held between my fingers, my heart racing out of my chest from my previous encounter. it couldn't have been a coincidence that I saw george again today, there was no way I was that lucky. something about this had to be fate, was george my soulmate?

555-2357. i'll pick you up at 7.

a date? really? i bit my lip, my smile wider than ever. my eyes trailed across the message, replaying it in my head as i prepared the rest of my orders for the day, quickly driving home to message george.

hey, it's mira. 

i set my phone down and stepped into the bathroom, dabbing on a little foundation and a few coats of mascara. i couldn't seem to eager to go on a date with him, but i wondered if his feelings for me were as strong as my feelings for him.

i didn't know much about him, really. yes, i'd done some research by stalking him on every site possible, but i didn't know his personality, or his likes, or if he was even into me. for all i knew, this could be nothing more than a one night stand for him.

my phone pinged as I stood in front of my closet, struggling to decide what I was going to wear. 

hey :) what's your address so I can pick you up?

okay, I was in over my head. he never even said date, specifically, just that he would pick me up. I quickly replied, sending my location. I wondered where we were going, or if I could even trust george. he did seem polite, and judging by his internet persona, he also appeared to be a little goofy and childish.

I slipped on a pink sundress and a pair of wedges. I wasn't short, by any means, but george was fairly tall, and I didn't want him to tower over me. 

just as I spritzed a layer of my favorite perfume on, a knock rang through my house. I guess this was it, it was time. maybe I was being dramatic, but this night could be very important for me. I mean, george could be my soulmate. this night could very well be the start to the rest of my life.

I pulled open my front door as I locked eyes with george. he was in a pair of jeans and a white collared shirt, a bouquet of red roses in his hand. so, he was polite, goofy, childish, and romantic? what could possibly go wrong?

"mira." he cleared his throat, and his cheeks hinted a slight shade of pink as he glanced me up and down. this was the closest we had ever been, only inches a way, and I felt as though george was staring into my soul. he made me feel vulnerable, as though he could see through my exterior into all of my fears and secrets, but he also made me feel so loved. "you look absolutely beautiful. I mean, you always look beautiful, but, uh, wow."

he uneasily chuckled and it wasn't hard to tell that he was nervous, as was i. 

"thank you, george. you look as handsome as ever." 

"I got you these, uh, I wasn't sure what type of flowers you liked, but I wanted to surprise you." 

"these are perfect, but, you didn't have to get me anything."

"it's just what gentleman do, right?"

"hm, talented and a gentleman? I might just have to marry you."

"I wouldn't mind that." he beamed, a dimple evident on his left cheek.

"you're welcome to come inside." I gestured, welcoming him into my place. "I just want to put these in a vase, and then we can head out."

I quickly put the flowers in a vase and grabbed my wallet, walking out to the car with george. his car was fairly big, which made sense, but also very well kept. cleanliness, I appreciated that. he played me some of his music as he drove, and ever since the concert, his songs had been growing on me. we made small talk, our conversation topics ranging from our family to if we believed the moon landing was real, and I was enjoying his company more than anything. 

"alright. we're here." george said abruptly, as we pulled into an empty grass lot. he was taking me to a field?

"are you a serial killer?" I blurted out, quite anxious by strange, secluded location?

"what?" he laughed and I raised an eyebrow, my hand on the pepper spray in my purse. I could never be too safe, ted bundy was charming and he murdered 30 people. "no, mira, I'm not a serial killer. I, uh, actually set up a picnic for us."

"a picnic?" my heart melted at those two words. a picnic was so romantic, and sweet, and much better than a movie and makeout session, which is what most guys preferred nowadays. "oh my gosh!"

"I had adam and isabel set it up." he laced his fingers with mine as he led me to a sheet near the edge of the grassy cliff, a perfect view of the sunset visible in all directions. "I'm not a great cook, though, so you're going to have to settle with a box of domino's pizza, a case of juice boxes, and two vanilla cupcakes."

"george, this is incredible." in that moment, my emotions were flooding over me. I'd only spoken to him twice, yet he did all of this for our first date, if that was even what we were calling it. he had laid out a few candles as well, the air crisp and the temperature almost picnic perfect. "so, george, tell me about yourself."

and that was that. the two of us talked for hours while munching on pizza crusts and sipping on pacific cooler juice boxes. everything seemed so pure, complete, and innocent when I was with him. and I know it seemed early, and it was likely infatuation, but it really, truly, felt like love. by the end of the hangout, his fingers were interlaced in my curly hair, and my head was on his lap, his deep voice whispering simple lyrics into my ear. we didn't end up leaving the little grassland until almost 10:30, with george walking me up to my door after he pulled into my driveway. 

I fumbled around with my key, unlocking the door and preparing to tell him goodnight, when he tugged my wrist gently spinning me around.

"can I kiss you?" he asked gently, his hands resting on my waist as his forehead rested upon mine.

"I'd be pretty upset if you didn't." I teased, as he pressed his lips against mine softly, his hand trailing into my hair. I ran my fingers through his dark hair, tugging on it gently as he pulled me closer to him. 

I know I may be dramatic, but I swear I felt sparks when our lips connected. I felt almost complete when I was with him. he pulled away softly, a smile on his face.

"I'll see you again, right?" i said softly, as george pressed his lips against my nose, leaving a soft little kiss.

"of course, mira." he grinned as I pulled the door shut, thus ending our date, and also our perfect night.