Chapter 7

Caroline has spend the rest of the day in her room. She knew she'd have to leave, she needed clothes and she needed blood. She didn't want to see him again, to look him in the eyes and see the betrayal. She knew she'd hurt him, although he'd never admit it. She just couldn't do this to herself. Fall for him, not again because she didn't know if he was even going to survive this. What if this Elios knows how to kill him again. Who knows if klaus is even still immortal. He seemed immortal.

She made a promise to Stefan to love him forever. She wanted to keep that promise to him. She knows Stefan and klaus had been friends once. But she also knew that Stefan would have never approved of her and klaus being as close as they are.

Caroline was brought out of her thoughts by a knock on the door, Rebekah didn't wait to be told to come in she sauntered In holding a pile of clothes with a blood bag on top. Without saying a word she placed them on the dresser and chucked the blood bag to Caroline. But she didn't leave. Not yet.

"Thank you" Caroline murmured slightly uncomfortable under Rebakah's scrutinising gaze. "They should fit you. God knows I have enough clothes" Rebekah commented with a scoff and still she made no move to leave.

A few more seconds of silence went by although it felt like hours to Caroline. "My brother cares for you Caroline, and he needs to be completely focused on Elios right now for the sake of his life and Elijah's. So don't do anything stupid ok? Keep yourself alive so klaus doesn't have to play hero and get himself killed" Rebekah was being stern with her but her voice held and element of desperation as if she actually believed caroline would put klaus in harms way. She almost felt offended.

"Rebekah I didn't come here to hurt klaus. I came because... you know what I have no idea" she lied "but after hearing that witch say her coven was tracking me, I can't leave yet, but I would never intentionally hurt klaus" Caroline attempted to convey how sincere she was to Rebekah, but her face was completely unreadable. Caroline wondered how her brothers eyes held such emotion and yet Rebekahs were stone cold. Or maybe she just didn't know how to read her.

"Caroline I don't intent to be your enemy. It's been way too many years and I don't think I've known anyone for as long as I've known you. They've never been alive long enough. I of all people understand why your here." Rebekah sighed and sat on the edge of Caroline's bed

Caroline bowed her head. She'd never realised how similar she and Rebekah were. Both of them were alone, all of their family had passed away but Rebekah was getting her family back and Caroline wanted to resent her for it. But their was a kindness in Rebekahs eyes.

"Does he know?" Rebekah asks managing to force caroline to look at her. Caroline gives her a quizzical look silently asking what she means "does he know about Josie, about hope... what they were to each other" Rebekah asked.

Caroline had thought about telling him. She'd told him that hope had been married, that she'd had a son but she didn't tell him that hope had married her daughter Josie and that the little boy they adopted was klaus and hers grandchild. She didn't know why she didn't tell him. It's not like it complicated things for them. Not that there was anything to complicate Caroline insisted.

She shook her head "I couldn't tell him. I don't know why. I just couldn't, but I will. Please don't tell him yet. I want to find the right time" Caroline spoke with a sadness in her voice.

Hope and Josie reminded Caroline so much of herself and Klaus. Everyone had told Josie that being around Hope was dangerous that bad things followed her but Josie couldn't help herself. They had adopted their son and lived relatively normal lives. But their son was still mortal so he died too. And then Caroline was alone again. That's when she stopped seeing Rebekah.

"He has a right to know about his family Caroline if you don't tell him soon I will" Rebekahs voice was cold again any previous warmth she'd held for Caroline was gone and she got up to leave. Once the door had closed Caroline leaned back into her bed with a sigh slowly sucking from the blood bag. Although this whole situation was a mess Caroline felt grateful. She hadn't felt this alive in years.

She couldn't leave. Maybe she just didn't want too but if she did she'd be alone again. That wasn't an option

She got up and examined the clothes from Rebekah some tops and jeans, all the essentials even a bag filled with soap and shampoo.

Caroline was done just waiting for Elios to show up. She didn't know if anyone would try and stop her from going out into New Orleans and trying to find out what was happening here but she had to try.

She opened the door to her room and made her way down the grand stair case she'd almost made it to the door. "Where are you going?" It was Elijah who had appeared seemingly from no where

"I just need some fresh air Elijah. I'm not a prisoner here" caroline mocked and edge in her voice she knew that if she wanted to leave she'd have to be forceful.

"No your not a prisoner, but if I let you leave and somethings happens to you. I believe I'll have a dagger in my back for the next century or 2" Elijah was slowly coming closer to Caroline he hadn't been intimidated by her at all. This man had been dead almost 200 years, why on earth did Caroline this she could intimidate him.

"Elijah please, I won't go far. I can hold my own" Caroline's voice was filled with despair and frustration a flash of sadness and familiarity flashed in Elijah's eyes. He took a step back and nodded to the door as if he was afraid to speak but Caroline understood he was letting her leave.

Caroline has reminded Elijah of Hayley. Who had also once believed she was prisoner here.

————————————————————————

Walking through the French quarter not much had changed, the music was the same and a lot of the businesses were still there. A city untouched by time Caroline thought.

Caroline made her way inside a bar that she'd found familiar. Upon entering she realised where she knew it from, sure the name was different and the inside had changed but this was the last place she saw klaus before he died. The last place she kissed him. The last place she'd made him a promise to never forget him. A promise she kept.

The bar was fairly busy. Lots of people a good place to hide in plain sight.

Caroline made her way up to the bar placing herself a few seats away from the bar tender so as not to make her uncomfortable. The bartender was a brunette girl seemingly in her mid 20s Caroline could tell she was human. If Caroline knew one thing about New Orleans is the people most informed are the ones selling the drinks.

The girl made her way up to Caroline with a calm almost disinterred expression.
"What can I get for you?" She asked her voice sickeningly sweet. Obviously fake.

"Bourbon" Caroline said bluntly she had no patience for fake people. The brunette took note of her bluntness and simply turned away going to get Caroline her drink.

Caroline took note of another boy down the other side of the bar who seemed very interested in Caroline. His eyes kept wondering over to her in panicked bursts. He looked barely old enough to be serving drinks.

As Caroline waited for her drink the boy became antsy as if he wanted to speak to her. When her drink arrived Caroline gulped it down greedily. Happy for any relief the stiff drink would provide.

The boys stares were starting to annoy her. She got up from her place at the bar and made her way down to his end. The boys eyes clearly held fear, did he know what she was?

"Something on your mind?" She asked him politely trying not to spook the boy into silence. He knew something and she was going to find out what. One way or another.