Prologue I

Natasha stared up at her new kitten stuck on the high tree branch, her tiny arms outstretched to it as she cried out, "Please, please, Liho! You must come down! I'll catch you! I promise!"

The black kitten was stressed, edging closer warily as it meowed at her.

"Come down, Liho!" She urged desperately. This was her first pet and she had promised her parents that she would take care of it forever and ever. Feed it, hydrate it, wash it and pet it. But she had failed to keep an eye on it. As she'd lost it to a tree very far from the cabin house.

"Please, Liho," she cried, "Come down."

Liho meowed and stepped back, deciding against jumping off from such great height.

The six-year-old redhead groaned and quickly looked around. She spotted a lot of sticks laid everywhere. And there was a very long one near the flowing river, just hiding between the tall grass. She quickly ran over to it and grabbed it from the ground. It was heavy and very lengthy in her small hands but she ran back with it confidently. Gesturing it to Liho to come down with it, but the stick was far from reaching the branch.

A very light mocking child-like laugh sounded and she looked around the green area in alert, lowering her stick. She frowned. "Who's there?" She raised her voice.

Silence. Nothing but the chirping of birds and the songs from bugs.

But Natasha did not turn back. Her eyes searching for the source of the laugh.

"You silly girl. That stick won't do anything for you," a boyish voice spoke and she shrieked, her head whipping around before her eyes landed on a boy.

She gasped.

The boy was on the top of the tree, standing nestled between the leaves and branches. He was leaning on the tree, staring at her with an easy smile while she shrieked out loud.

When her screaming was done, he cocked his head to the side, his silky ebony hair flowing with his head movement. "Are you finished, little girl?"

Natasha's jaw was hanging.

He quirked an eyebrow at her. Then he snickered and started climbing down the huge tree. She watched him between the branches as he lowered, the tree shaking as he did. He grabbed the kitten's body like it was nothing before he landed on the ground in an impossible leap from the great height.

She was speechless. The boy came out of nowhere.

"Your pet," he said outstretching her kitten to her casually. Liho's middle region held like an object.

Natasha had let go of the stick and ran to fetch her kitten from his discomforting grip. She held Liho gently to her chest and stepped away from him, regarding him warily. He was much taller than her. He looked older. He was dressed in black and green, barefoot, with a golden crown with small horns cradling his black head.

"You're welcome," he simpered.

"Who are you?" She demanded.

"The Tree Climber," he answered flippantly.

"The Tree Climber?" Her lip curled. "There's no such."

"No such what?" He teased.

"Tell me your real name," she ordered.

"I saved your pet's life. You owe me your name." He stepped closer to her and she stepped back with distrust.

"I am not supposed to talk to strangers."

"And yet here you are," he drawled, with hypnotic blue eyes glinting with something exciting and naughty.

She swallowed, very nervous while he was edging closer to her. "I am Natasha."

"Loki then," he bowed his head.

"Why do you talk like that?" She then asked. "Where are you from anyway?"

"I come from the trees, don't you pay attention?" The boy teased.

"There's no such. You are lying again." She caressed her kitten in her arms as she eyed him stubbornly. "I don't like liars."

"Take it or leave it." He smirked, his arms folded behind his back.

"I'm telling my mother you are climbing our trees," she snapped.

"Ooh," he cooed, "I'm scared. I didn't know this was your land."

"Where are your parents anyway? No one else lives here! Answer me, where do you come from?!"

"My parents are dead," he remarked with a mischievous smile.

She paused, her stubborn look fading into something soft.

"Feeling sorry for me?" He grinned.

"How old are you?" She asked carefully.

"One hundred and twenty," he answered nonchalantly.

She scowled. "You're a liar! Liar!" She yelled. "I hate liars! Stay away from me!"

He started laughing as she stormed away with her pet.