Chapter One

As a child, my professional aspirations were simple: I wanted to be a princess of a charming little country in Europe. Disney movies like Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast gave me hope that a mere peasant like me could one day become royalty. Of course, these were childish dreams. I never imagined they would actually come true.

Kidding.

I'm not a princess of a country, nor will I ever be. However, I am not a typical high school student. No, I'm not the "Chosen One" or a child of Poseidon. Nothing silly like that.

I am a Freyja.

In Norse mythology, Freyja was said to be a preeminent goddess of love, battle, and death.

It's not a myth.

I know, I know. I told you being a child of Poseidon would be silly just a few moments ago. We aren't Freyja's children. Thousands of years ago, Freyja chose a select few to become "Freyjas". A bit vain to name a group after yourself, if you ask me. But anyway, these Freyjas were tasked with coupling people up. Of course, there is no such thing as a soulmate, but Freyjas have the ability to know who would match well with who. Freyjas were also tasked with a more dangerous mission: track down and kill every monster that walks the earth and keep humanity safe. Freyja gave these individuals special abilities to aid them with their never-ending mission. Said abilities were passed on to each generation.

Over the centuries, Freyjas have become less and less responsible and have been known to cause chaos and drama- using the abilities Freyja gave us for bad rather than for good. Of course, I, on the other hand, am the epitome of the perfect-

I groaned as I slammed my journal close, the bell ringing in my ears. Guess I'll have to finish my autobiography in Spanish. Why am I writing an autobiography, you ask? Well, I fully intend on becoming famous one day, so I thought I'd just get it out of the way now while I still have the time.

I gathered my supplies and violently stuffed them into my backpack. I tossed a glance behind me as I stumbled out of physics. I smirked as I caught Joey, a skinny geek with blonde hair, rushing to catch up to Molly, a pretty brunette. Looks like Jo's going to take my advice and try to talk with the most popular girl in school. They couldn't have been more wrong for each other, but I loved watching love-sick fools crash and burn.

I lagged behind to watch the inevitably hilarious humiliation Jo was soon about to experience. My face twisted into an amused grin as Molly looked absolutely appalled that Jo would have the audacity to even consider looking at her, let alone talk to her. Jo's face fell when he finally came to the conclusion that it could never happen, widening my grin.

Realizing the entertainment was over, I looked around to see if anyone else caught Joey's failed attempt. Instead, I found a pair of piercing blue eyes staring directly at me. It was the new guy. I racked my head for a name as I examined him. His wavy brown hair stuck up a little and was swept to the side. His eyes were studying me in an almost disappointed way and his full lips were pulled into a slight frown.

The warning bell chimed, reminding me that I still had an education to attend to. I looked away from my attractive classmate and made a hasty retreat to the comforts of Señora Simón's Spanish III classroom.

I quickly took a seat at my desk and waited as Señora Simón took attendance, my mind still on those mysterious blue eyes. Who does he think he is, looking so disappointed in me? We don't know each other. I couldn't even remember his name.

"Noah? Noah Davis?"

Curiosity overtook my preoccupied thoughts as I looked for the owner of this unfamiliar name. A hand casually shot up and a smooth, clear voice responded, "presente".