A decisive confrontation

"Why isn't that idiot replying to me anymore?!" Korrina yelled. She was on Twitter checking the comments on her feud with Alain and noticed that he had abruptly stopped replying.

"Maybe he's just gotten tired of it. He's ruling Kalos, it's a busy job." Serena reasoned. Of course we know the true reason which to be fair is somewhat related to what Serena theorised, but that realisation is far off from our heroes for now.

"No way!" Korrina quickly denied such a possibility. "He's had enough time for me so far, clearly he's admitting defeat here." She said, doing a small victory dance.

"Or he's planning an even bigger response..." Clemont pondered. "Like how Ash disappeared for 6 months then came back by beating Galar's strongest gym leader."

"That implies Alain's actually good at battling." Korrina laughed.

"Don't think that lowly of him Korrina, even without cheating he would've come close to beating me." Ash admitted with a chuckle.

"Keyword: close." Bonnie argued.

"Don't worry, there's no way he could ever defeat me." A 6th figure spoke up from the front of the pack, beside Ash. "After all, I'm the unbeatable champion! And did you know I have a Charizard too? Much better than Alain's!"

The group of Ash, Serena, Clemont, Korrina, Bonnie, and Leon were walking across Wedgehurst, rapidly approaching their destination. The gang had came into Potsdale and quickly found Leon's house, where they introduced themselves to the champion and explained their situation.

"Weren't you defeated just last year?" A voice from ahead asked playfully.

"We don't talk about that, Sonia." Leon winked back at her.

"To be fair, she's way too powerful." A younger man's voice, about Ash's age, interjected. It was Hop, Leon's younger brother and Sonia's assistant.

"It's a loss I'll never recover from." The champion moped melodramatically. "Never before have I been so utterly humiliated."

"Look on the bright side, Mr. Leon!" Bonnie exclaimed. "It's only 1 loss out of hundreds!"

"My perfect record..." Leon cried.

"You're still the unbeatable champion in our hearts." Ash sweatdropped.

"Thanks for your support." He said. "Anyway, Sonia and Hop, we're looking for a professional opinion." Clemont grabbed his laptop from his bag and placed it on the desk. The computer was playing the Kalos League finals, paused at the very end of the match.

The footage was played up until a certain moment, just when the attacks were being fired. The video was then paused, and Clemont pointed to a figure in the background behind Alain.

"Do you know what this could be?" He asked.

"It looks familiar." Hop said. The physique of the entity was thin and tall, with a round head that featured saliences similar to fins.

Sonia observed the thermal mapping of the creature, and compared it to the ultrasound. "Seems like an Inteleon to me."

"What's that?" Ash asked.

"It's a really common Pokémon here, it's our water type starter." Sonia explained.

"So Team Flare had a presence here at least sometime in the past..." Ash said.

"Not that surprising, considering their plans." Korrina commented.

"What were they doing here, though?" Clemont questioned.

"Depends how far ahead they planned." Leon said. "Could be anything from just getting the Sobble to surveying the entire region."

"We need to get to Mr. Goodshow about this." Ash stated. "That's the only way to get our voices heard to enough important people."