Tres - Max

Page 578. Chapter 48. The Last chapter.

So, it's a goodbye then.

I was reading the last page of the book when I heard him speak.

"I can always go back to chapter 1 anytime, you know? I won't leave your book in the shelf for a very long time. That's a promise." I said and focused on the book again.

I sat there and waited for his response,

I won't speak. You can continue reading now.

My eyes lingered on the sentence that I keep rereading. My mind seems to be confused and I don't understand what the words mean. So much thoughts are running in my mind, I can't focus.

"Standing infront of many people whilst holding a glass of wine. His heart seems to be going out of his chest. Mixed emotions of nervousness and happiness overwhelmed him. 'A perilous journey it is, but our hero came back, risking his life to save us all. A toast for Maximilio!' " I read out loud and smiled.

"You saved them.

You have been on a great adventure, Max. I hope I can experience that too."

He didn't responded. The tone of this chapter should be happy. But I can feel the protagonist's sadness.

You we're there with me all this time, you experienced all of them, Jill. Though we're in different worlds, it is our journey.

I smiled at what he said. Right. I was there with him.

"You have a happy ending. I'm happy for you, truly."

My ending will never be happy when it means parting with you. You're not going to be with me after this.

I sighed. I put the book on my desk and kept the book open for me to be able to tie my hair into ponytail.

I will write my own story and I will put you in it. You're going to meet me there, right?.

"You know I will, Max."

I continued reading until I reached the end. I read the last word of his final chapter. Happy.

"Are you truly happy, Max?"

I didn't received a response. Instead, I heard him sigh.

"You're the bravest and strongest man I met, Max."

And you're the woman I love, Jill.

If only I could meet you there, Max.

You'll come back and read my adventures, right?

"I will."

I closed my eyes and heaved a deep sigh. I removed the bookmark. " 'Till next time, Max." I said and finally closed the book.

I just finished reading the best book I've ever read. The book that make me stay up until dawn. The brave man I've come to love. The adventures we shared throughout the whole book.

This will always be my favorite book.

°°°