Plan On You

A/N/: This is the stage at Castaway Dawson performs on

Song for Chapter: Plan on You (Adam Melchor) 

Dawson's POV

The cafe is quiet but my mom is keeping me company, both of us working on getting holiday inventory into the shop. The outside air is starting to get colder and as November approaches people are beginning to get in the holiday spirit. Estella always scolds us for not waiting until Halloween passes to start thinking about Christmas, but I can't help it. I read through catalogues and read serial numbers out to my mom who copies them down, assembling our merchandise order. I can see the list getting long, but neither of us acknowledge it - we love Christmas too much.

"Don't tell Estella about this," she warns, adding up the lengthy order.

I scoff. "She's just trying to be an angsty teen that suddenly cares so much about Halloween. She'll be back on the Christmas train soon enough." I move on to a second catalogue and flip through the pages.

"That girl..." she breathes out and I look up at her quizzically. "I can't figure her out to save my life. She's constantly texting her friends - never tells me anything. I don't remember you having all these secrets from me."

"You may not remember it, but there were many an angst-riddled-song written about you and dad." I push myself off the counter and smirk at her. "I'm sure she's fine. She's trying to grow up, she just wants a little more space."

She places her hands on her cheeks and shakes her head. "I should've had boys."

"No, boys are loud and gross and obnoxious and drink too much beer. You're lucky you have such wonderful young ladies." I go back to the catalogue and see my mom's eyes widening next to me.

"You play rock! You are louder than any boy could possibly me. And don't even pretend you don't drink beer because I saw you shotgun TWO with Freddie at Kelly's stag and doe." I laugh and she looks down at her order form, shaking her head and mumbling to herself. "Wonderful young ladies my ass."

"But you love us," I tease, leaning across the counter to her.

"But I love you," she agrees, placing a kiss on my cheek. "What are you up to tonight?"

"Picked up a gig so I'll be on the Castaway stage at 8pm sharp." I hear the door open as I answer and turn to greet the customer, freezing as I do.

"You're playing tonight?" I hear the familiar british accent and my eyes widen. Harry strolls up to the counter and braces himself against it, offering my mom a smile.

"I - um -" I see my mom not-so-subtly walk from behind the counter into the back room and snap my focus back to the boy in front of me. "Um - you're - what?"

He chuckles. "Are you asking what I asked or what I'm doing here?"

"Both?" My mind is racing as I look at his eyes. What happened to forgetting about this place and going back to his celebrity life? I was starting to accept it, and he just had to come back and ruin that? I'm not complaining though - at least I won't be once the shock wears off and I can form coherent sentences.

"Did I hear you say you're playing tonight?" I nod and he smiles. "Well I want to come."

I study him silently, taking in his statement but not fully registering it. "What... what are you doing here?"

"Well I'm here to get a coffee, as I'm sure most people that come in are. However, there seems to be a stubborn barista working today who's ignoring most of what I say." His smug looks brings me back to reality a bit and it sinks in that somehow he's really back.