Chapter One

Elizabeth knew her parents were keeping something from her so when they sent for her she quickly left her horse at the stables and ran to her parents chamber. Being a grown-up she was able to do a lot of things in the house. She liked shooting arrows, horse back riding, things only men liked and that's what made her special in her parents eyes.

As she entered their room she saw the sadness on her mom's face."Mom,Dad, what's wrong"

"My daughter, the time has come for you to start a family and the son of my dear friend Malcolm Roberts has asked for your hand in marriage"

Malcolm is a Scottish laird and she has always known that he was a good friend of her father, he was getting old so fast and on his death bed, his last wish is to see his son Edward get married before his death.

"Mother, then why do you look sad you have always wished for the day I will be taken as bride, is something wrong?"

"No, my child. I am so happy for you but I will also miss you very much and they will be here the day after tomorrow to get you. Two days is too small to prepare all the things you need and I don't want them to be disappointed when they come"

"What are you saying, you are coming with me right and I will be able to visit anytime I want" She could not believe what she was hearing, how could she go without her mother, what would she do without living with them. She might as well not get married but she knew that will not make her parents happy.

"No my child, the scotts don't do things like we do in England. It is your husband's choice to allow you to do whatever he wants and he has said that he is taking only you to his home"Mary never thought her daughter will end up married to a Scottish laird and she didn't teach her the ways of Scott's and she was really regretting it but she knew her daughter could cope anywhere.

"I have not even married him and he is already making decisions for me. This really is going to be fun" she said as she stomped out of the room.

"Mary my love, leave her alone for a while she would come around she just need to digest what we told her. I have always told you to involve the Scott's whenever you tell her your stories but you never listen. Hope is she going to take in all the surprises she meets when she gets there"

"I know my daughter will be strong about this so don't worry" Mary knew her daughter can face any challenges and she knew she would do well in her marriage.

Lizzy ran to her room and began to pace around she couldn't believe she was getting married and he was coming for her in two days. Suddenly all anger she felt towards him vanished and she became happy to see him."Oh my God, what do I wear?what if he doesn't like me? what if I don't like him?what am I going to take with me?" She stopped when she saw her mother coming through the door.

"Darling, I can see you are no longer sad, what changed your mind"

"You know I have always waited to get married and I guess that feeling just ruled out all the anger I was feeling"

"My daughter I am so proud of you and I know that you will be happy where ever you are even if I am not with you just know that I love you so much. I know it is late now but I would like to tell you what I can about the Scott's but first I need to tell you a story"

Lizzy was all ears when she heard the word story.

"I told you my mom was Scottish right but she married from England, what I never told you was I grew up in Scotland. My dad loved my mom so much that he promised her that when she took in they would move to Scotland and live there, he was never bothered about it because he got along with them well with the Scott's especially after I was born. The Scott's love children, that is one way to win their trust and it brings you closer to your husband" Lizzy knew that statement was for her but didn't say anything about it, she patiently waited for her mom to continue." When I was growing up I had a best friend, her name was Camilla, she was so nice and she told me all about Scott's marriage because her parents were Scott's and her mother always told her stories just like I told you. She told me that her mother always called her father my Lord and that whatever he said was final. She was always afraid of her father as a kid because all Scott men looked like giants, they were so built with muscles and they never smile but she  also told me that whenever he was with her mother he was always smiling. But I thing about Camilla is that she always feel sick, sometimes she would be sick for weeks I always cried when I couldn't see her it was like we were twin sisters, always playing together, running around and she was just as stubborn as you, hiding from her parents and thing it was a joke. They were so worried about her that they had to separate us. When we were fifteen my family moved back to England, we didn't see each other  for nine years, they didn't allow us to send letters to each other. I saw her again when she was getting married by then our parents could not stop us from seeing each other. When I saw her at her wedding she looked so happy and in love. She got married to Edward's father he was the laird at that time when he met Camilla. My family moved back to Scotland and that was where I met your father, he and Malcolm were good friends and they came to buy some goods from my dad. At that time Camilla just gave birth to Edward, everyone was so surprised that she survived her childbirth, for a woman who was always sick she herself was expecting the worse that could happen but I guess God was on her side. I remember Edward as a little boy he was so fun, his laughter was contagious everyone saw his mother lively spirit in him. I remember when you were born, he was six years old at that time, he would follow me everywhere just to see you but he changed after his mom died, the fun little boy became cold and wouldn't allow anyone in again but I have faith in you that you can change that and bring light into his world again. My dear, promise me that you will stay by him no matter what happens and that you will obey all what he tells you to do, okay. Edward is a good person he just needs to be loved again, to remember that his mother loved him"

Lizzy could not believe what see heard but she knew she had a lot in store for her so she did what she needed to do at that point and made a promise she might find challenging to keep."Yes ma, I promise"

The next day was busy for everyone in her house the next day her future husband would be at her door step to take her away. Her mother has prepared food, clothes and gifts for her to take with her and she was saying her goodbyes to all the people in her neighborhood, her house has been filled with people after the news has spread that she will be getting married to a mighty laird in Scotland. She just wanted this day to end so she can begin her new life in Scotland. Her mother looked like she was the one getting married with the huge smile on her face." I just wish I would be able to attend your marriage but that would be an insult to your husband, he would think we don't trust him with you and that is not the case"

"Mom, you really don't trust him with me, do you"

"Of course I do, if not you will not receive my blessings to get married. Enough of this, you need to rest early because you have a long day ahead of you. The journey should be one day but because of you it might take two days"

"Mom, why would it take two days I ride horses well and I don't want him to think I am weak"

"Stop saying nonsense, you are a lady so you need special attention, you have to stop for a bath or to rest once in a while. Now go up to your room and sleep" But Lizzy could not sleep through the night because she was thinking about what her husband would be like.