Chapter 3: Heirs

The Diplodocus stops in front of a large building, emblazoned with twin serpents coiling around a skull.

"Say, what does the skull represent?"

"The Twins. They represent the paths of life. Setu, the The Streaked One, guides souls along the path of a good life. His sister, Tere, guides souls down the path of a miserable life. It's a sad role, but no matter what, both duel with Death, trying to keep their souls alive, and only give them to him when the time is right. And Death itself is also not evil. It simply is lonely, as it cannot touch anything. The poor entity has had many lovers, but when they die, they sort of... lose what they are. They become simple shades, and vanish into an faceless crowd. Death has tried many times to prevent this, but nothing works. He will fall in love, and lose it forevermore. Sometimes you see him, a skeletal creature watching various families live out their lives. A lonesome existence."

They enter the building. Several children run by in hospital gowns, giggling and squealing. Some of doctors and nurses bow or wave as Crook Jaw passes by. They arrive at a room, with a massive door. When they open the door, it's quite dark.

"Please be quiet. My wife is quite skittish, and she's in a sort of mother hen like state."

"Why is it so dark?"

"Oh... that's for my brother in law."

Two blood red eyes open behind Crook Jaw, and low rumbling growl. Crook Jaw turns and smiles warmly.

"Hello Rudy."

With a rumbling growl, the titanic frame of a pure white dinosaurian emerges from the dark. His eyes are sunken slightly, and has reddish bags under his eyes, making him seem very tired. Long straggly hair covered most of his face, only leaving his eyes exposed. He has massive hands with three fingers like Crook Jaw, but his finger end with much longer claws. He waves and marches down the hall.

"W-why is he so big?"

"A few genetic deviations altered his body. His albinism gives him an aversion to strong light, so he's crepuscular. He stays hidden during the day, is active at dusk or dawn, and sleeps at night."

"Oh my. Poor thing!"

"He's fine with it, but it really limits his dating options. Though I'm glad he came to see his nieces and nephews, I'm more concerned that he stays comfortable. But he was insistent he come see them hatch."

"Aww. What a dedicated uncle."

They enter the room, and see a woman with a large blanket draped over her shoulders, nestling close to a dozen eggs. She is much smaller than her brother, but still is quite large, even compared to Crook Jaw. She raises her head and smiles warmly at Crook Jaw.

"Hello dear. You made it just in time. And I see you brought guests."

"They are mamono of the mainland. It seems they are on both an explorative and diplomatic mission. But I've allowed them to accompany me here."

       Rudy returns, clutching a large chunk of meat, which he greedily devours. She strokes her titanic brother's head, and his purr shakes the glass containers in the cupboard. They all gather round as the eggs start to tremble and crack.  Tiny claws start to burst through the eggshells. Slowly, there's a dozen peeping babies.  Crook Jaw and his wife slowly wraps their children, before they pick up the last one. An albino allosaur. Crook Jaw gently picks up the infant, and hands him to his uncle. the baby was tiny in Rudy's massive palm, and he peers curiously at his uncle. Rudy's thumb claw is twice as big as he was, but he gently rubs the infants belly. The baby wiggles a bit, before his face scrunches and he starts to cry. Rudy jerks back and panickily looks around.