Chapter Twenty: Jesus Christ Superstar

I got home way late that night. As it turns out, Joan had quite a lot to say about Charlie.

Zoey headed to her parents house, and I went back to our place, fully prepared to order food, lay on the couch and die when I saw someone waiting outside of our apartment. It was Leif, leaned against the wall beside my apartment door, with a Thai Time Carry-out bag in each hand. I furrowed my eyebrows, coming around to stand in front of him.

"What um...what's going on?" I asked.

"I saw that Joan had you two cornered in her office, I figured you'd probably miss dinner so..." He held up the bags. "I brought dinner."

"How long have you been standing out here?" I asked. He shook his head.

"Not long. I just made a deduction about how long Joan would keep you after work and turns out, I was right." I chuckled, walking past him and unlocking the door.

"Well, thank you, Leif. I really appreciate that."

"Yeah, of course." I led the way inside, taking the bags from him and bringing them into the living room, beginning to unpack the containers onto the coffee table. 

"You really didn't have to do this. Its really sweet of you." He shook his head, sitting down beside me on the couch.

"It really wasn't a problem, honestly." He said, grabbing his own take out container. "So what were you guys even talking about?" I shook my head.

"Girl stuff. Nothing important." He furrowed his eyebrows. 

"Come on, you can tell me." 

"No seriously, its girl stuff. I really don't think I should talk about it." He nodded.

"Ok, fair enough." He said. I sighed, folding my legs beside me, turning to face him and leaning my arm on the back of the couch as I ate my first bite.

"Oh my gosh...its a masterpiece." I groaned, causing him to laugh.

"So um...I have to confess something." I raised my eyebrows, looking up from my food. "I may have come here with some...slight...ulterior motives."

"Shoot." He put his food down, folding a leg in front of him and turning to face me, with his own arm on the back of the couch.

"I want to talk about what was going on with us the past 24 hours." I nodded.

"Right...yeah, I...I should've seen this coming." I put my food down on the coffee table.

"I lied," He said, causing me to furrow my eyebrows, "I wasn't...I wasn't running an experiment, I did what I did in the elevator because...I wanted to. Because I like you."  I squeezed my eyes shut. "Uh oh, that's not a positive reaction."

"Look, Leif-"

"Aw crap."

"Ok, hold on. Before you start busting out the ice cream, just hear me out here." I said, putting my arm over his on the couch. "Look um...its like I told you before about us being friends, I um..." I bit my lip. "I liked you...back then." He raised his eyebrows.

"Seriously?" I nodded.

"We'd had that great night, in the office, eating Thai Town," I gestured to the food, "And talking so I decided that night that the minute I got a chance the next day I was gonna ask you out on a date." He nodded.

"And then the peer reviews came out." He said. I nodded.

"Look, Leif, I've forgiven you for that, I have. And I'm thrilled that we're friends again, but I just...I really need to be careful because if this goes wrong again-"