Chapter 13: Part 3

Colas continued his visits for around a week, and during this time, Faso made himself as scarce as possible. He would look strangely at Colas and me when we performed our 'meditation' sessions, but he wouldn't say anything about it.

That night was the last I slept in the same bed as Faso, let alone the same bedroom. Instead, I slept on an air mattress on the floor in the same tiny room as Butan. We could have returned to the publishing house, admittedly. But I didn't want Alsie flying over this place and asking too many questions. The later she realised that things had changed the better.

I also became more adept at masking my thoughts. By the end of the week, I was constantly walking around in a meditative trance. Not thinking, so much, but just casually watching my mind work in the background as if I was gazing into the underlying intricacies of a ticking clock. I had no idea whether Alsie could hear my thoughts as she flew over. But she didn't let me know either way.

After a week, Colas came around to tell us the good news. Faso was there at the time, as well as my father.

"I'll let your daughter tell you what happened," Colas said.

And I reached out to connect to Charth flying overhead.

My father has found an airship, he said. And he thinks he can get you through the Southern Barrier.

Wonderful, I replied. When do we leave?

Tomorrow's your only window. Bright and early.

I nodded. I thought I should tell my father first, but Faso was watching us like a lost puppy. I walked over him and held him in my arms. "It's time for us to leave Faso. We'll be gone tomorrow. Please, remember we're not meant to be doing this. Don't tell the king, and certainly don't tell Alsie Fioreletta."

He buried his head in my shoulder. "I'll miss you so much, Sukina. I didn't want it to end this way."

"I'm sorry," I said. "But thank you, it's always been an honour to have met you."

"Goodbye," he said, and he leaned in towards my lips.

I let him have that one last kiss, but I didn't hold it for too long.

"I wish I could see you leave," he said. "But maybe it's better if I stay out tonight." And he walked out the door without another word.

I watched him go, feeling like the bad guy. Faso had done nothing to deserve any of this, really. And I felt absolutely awful to be taking away his child without even telling him of its existence. But, at the same time, I knew there was no other way.