Short Works

She

She watches me every night.

Before I go to sleep. She's here to protect me. Why would I want her to leave?

I met her in the backyard. Her yellow eyes pierced the night. I was outside in my rubber yellow galoshes, catching fireflies with a jam jar. My mother, sitting but a few feet away, was reading in a book across her lap. The little light bugs almost hid her golden eyes. But I saw her. Her dusty gray hair, golden irises, tattered velvet dress...she was beautiful. I couldn't pull my gaze from hers. She was hid among old wisterias and dying roses. The lifeless maroon petals framed her face in almost a innocent way. She told me stories of her family. She tells me how the flames ate her house whole, chewing and crunching on the bones of her family. Her golden eyes are emotionless and her jawbone juts out when she speaks. We sometimes play dollhouse together. She likes to be the mommy. We play for hours and hours and she never gets tired. "Tell me you love me." She said one day. "I love you, sillyhead." Peppy as always. One side of her mouth pulled slightly in a smile. I pulled a plastic yellow rose from the arms of a porcelain Anne of Green Gables. I slid the flower into her ear. "Friends forever." Beaming at her. The canary-colored petals contrasted against her pale gray skin. She looked from the mother doll in her hands and back to me. She smiled at me.

"Forever."

A/N: Like what you read? Become a fan to receive updates of new short stories and poems from me! Feedback is much appreciated. Thanks !

~ Misty