02: They're All Animals!

~Akane's POV~

I flinched hearing the doorbell ring. 'Crap! What now?' I asked myself sighing softly.

"Hello! Package delivery!" A voice called from the front door.

'Okay. Deep breath, deep breath. You can get through this and don't lose your cool.' I thought breathing softly trying to calm down but that didn't last long as I scooped up Kyo in my right arm and Shigure in my left with Yuki on his head a bolted to the door.

I slammed open the door. "They're all animals!" I yelled to the delivery man out of breath as my mind raced.

"Yeah. Those are some cute pets you got there. Now, if you could please sign here." The delivery man said holding out a small package.

I dropped the Somas. "Pets?! No, they're-." I cut myself off.
'God! What's the point?!'

Shigure, in dog form, signed the form for the package. The delivery man chuckled. "Aren't you a smart little poochie? Thanks a lot, ma'am. Have a good day!" The delivery man said and he left.

With the package in my hands, I slumped up against the door frame. "I think I'm gonna vomit." I muttered.

"Ugh! We could've covered if you jerks hadn't transformed, too." Kyo hissed.

"You're the one who screwed up first, stupid cat." Yuki shot back at the orange cat.

"Oh yeah?" Kyo said back. 'Oh great, they talk, too.' I thought. 'Geez, can this day get any weirder.'

Shigure barked breaking up Yuki and Kyo's bickering and Kyo hissed in response. Shigure sighed. "We can either tell her the truth or make up a story she won't believe anyway," Shigure said as looked over at me.

"As you can see, I'm the Dog, Yuki is the Rat, and Kyo Soma over here is the Cat. We're all possessed by animal spirits." Shigure explained.

I was speechless. Possessed by animal spirits? "Ten others in the Soma family are similarly possessed by the different zodiac animals. It's been this way for generations." Shigure said.

"Unfortunately, it doesn't give as any especially cool powers to speak of. Pretty much all we can do is communicate with our respective animals, and we transform when our bodies are weakened or when hugged by someone of the opposite sex. We automatically turn human again after a while." Shigure said.

I flinched as colored smoke popped into the air. "But completely naked, I'm afraid," Shigure added. I squealed. "Oh my god! Why?!" I covered my eyes.

^time skip^

I sat down in the living after the Somas got back into their clothes. "Sorry about that. I know it must've come as quite a shock to you." Shigure said.

"Yeah, I feel like I'm going to vomit from the shock," I muttered looking down at the floor. "And from my nerves..." I said.

"Now, then, are you feeling a bit calmer?" Shigure asked me.

"I think so? I don't know. It's kinda a lot to take in, ya know. I'm brain is like 'buzz'." I said making a buzzing sound and wiggling my fingers by my head.

Then something hit me as I looked over in Yuki's direction. 'This makes a lot of sense actually. When Uo told me about that girl that tried to hug him. Heh, who knew. No one that's for sure.'

"I have to say, that was a pretty pathetic showing, Kyo. I mean, you are a trained martial artist. Shouldn't be a little harder for a girl to sneak up on you? You really have eyes for no one but Yuki, don't you?" Shigure teased.