Chapter 3: Captain Ogre

After extensive research on the military of the city as well as finding out what he can about the revolutionary army from Rem who he sent to look into them, (F/N) decides that his best option is to try and join the military for a short period of time. Once he reaches the rank of general it is common for the emperor to award the new general with one item from the imperial treasury. As the revolutionary army does not have the strength to beat the empire, and also plans on selling everything in the treasury (F/N) decides becoming a general in the army is the best way to get the book. He then plans to leave after acquiring it.

With a goal in mind (F/N) heads to the recruitment office for the military. The man at the desk is rather rude to him saying that he does not have time to receive new applicants. (F/N) says, "I am alright with starting at any position so long as I can join the ranks." The man replies, "A real patriot huh. Well I don't really care. I have received over one hundred applications just today. With all the poverty in the capital everyone is turning to the military for aid. Unless you bribe me I am not even going to give you an application." (F/N) sighs, and leaves the office.

Having failed in this plan (F/N) tries to determine another way that he could possibly get the Book of Solomon. After spending quite some time thinking on the matter he decides to head toward a restaurant and get some food. He gets lost on the way and ends up at a bar. (F/N) thinks, "I guess they do have food here. I don't drink and might be underage to do so anyway since I am technically only 18 after not aging in the last five years. I will just have to go in and see."

Upon entering the bar (F/N) asks for some food and shows that he does have money to pay. The barkeeper says, "I am sorry you appear too young to buy alcohol, so I must ask you to leave." (F/N) says, "That is fine I am really just looking for food, do you happen to know of a place I could get some nearby." The barkeeper says, "Why would I tell someone where they could go besides my place?" (F/N) replies, "You said I could not eat here, so I figured you could at least suggest where I could go. I am fine with not getting any alcohol while I am here, I just want food." The barkeeper and (F/N) go back and forth discussing this matter before a large man in a guard uniform comes up.

The man is missing an eye and his other eye has a black sclera. He says, "I am sick of hearing you two bicker. I will buy the food for the boy, so just get him something. It is not like he is doing anything wrong here, he just wants food." The barkeeper gets (F/N) food right away. After he gets his food the large man asks (F/N) to sit by him and talk.

(F/N): "Who might you be? You appear to be a guard."

Man: "You really don't know. That is strange."

(F/N): "I am rather new to the capital so I don't know the guards all that well. I came here to join the military, but they would not let me even fill out an application without a bribe. The bribe he wanted was over twice what I have, so I couldn't pay it."

Man: "Well I am Ogre, a captain of the imperial guard. As it would happen I am a pretty big deal in the guard. You seem like you know how to fight, so we could possibly use you in the guard."

(F/N): "That sounds interesting to me. However, I am not willing to pay a bribe to get in. I believe that I should make it in on my own abilities."

Ogre: "Money is what buys most things in this world, so if you are not going to bribe someone you are not going to get in. You intrigue me though. I will make you a deal. If you can beat me in a fight, then I will write you a letter of recommendation to get in. With that I am sure you would be able to get past the whole bribe thing."

(F/N): "That is rather generous of you to do."

Ogre: "No that is not it. I have an alternative motive for doing this."