The St. Ambrose Library bustled by the end of the school day. Students from all grade levels gathered inside this long hall, filled to the brim with all kinds of books, magazines, and periodicals throughout the history of the school. The walls were painted mint green, and on it, various projects from former students were hung for all to see.

The librarian and his apprentices tried to discipline the rowdy highschoolers, but to no avail. After almost an hour of calling their attention and kicking them out, they just gave up and continued their work for the day. This meant the mezzanine was now open for anyone to come into. The upper floor, barely six feet in height, held all the archives, old equipment and Filipiniana books that can only be accessed with permission. 

Usually, this floor was populated by either friend groups that wanted to watch TV or couples that needed some time alone. Sometimes, drowsy students would take advantage of the cold to make up lost sleeping time. One of them was Ernest Kirchner, who was already soundly asleep, as he rested his head on one of the wooden tables, on top of his Math homework.

Ernest lifted his head from the table. He noticed a trail of his own saliva left over on top of his answer sheet. He clicked his tongue and quickly took out his handkerchief to wipe it off. He stared at the equation. It was practically pre-calc. He was just too sleepy for this. 

Maybe he'd just turn this in tomorrow? He looked at his watch. It was 4 o'clock, maybe he still had time. He looked around and saw that the mezzanine was largely empty, save for this one guy who was reading intensely about the works of Claro M. Recto. Rene Nieves, Ernest thought. The new member in the choir. He just attended this first meeting last week. His audition was solid since he had a nice baritone voice. If he's lucky he might even be a soloist by the end of the year. He rearranged his papers and tried to answer again.

Suddenly, a finger pointed at the test item. A voice clear as crystal rung. It was Rene.  "That's a typo. Sir Avos said we should change the equation any way we can so it can be solved."

Ernest's concentration sharpened, as if the voice of his classmate woke him up. "Thanks, Nieves. Are you done?"

"Just finished. Though I'd sneak in some light reading before I go home."

Ernest looked at Rene. His glasses reflecting the light from the fluorescent bulbs, so much so that the other boy looked like he was surrounded by a solar aura. He looked at the book he was carrying. The Life and Works of Claro M. Recto.

"Philippine history? So much for light reading."

"That's just because your country's history is heavy."

Ernest let out a little chuckle at the remark. Rene smiled awkwardly at his reaction. He wasn't expecting he'd be that frivolous with his response. He was half-German, after all. "Good joke, Nieves. I didn't know you were such a comedian."

"Well, we have a lot of time to hear more jokes of mine." He chuckled lightly before going on. "Choir practice tomorrow, right?"

"Yeah. And don't forget to bring a folder for the sheet music, okay?"

"Alright. Thanks Ernest." 

Ernest watched as Rene returned the book he was reading behind some of the other decrepit books. He wondered about this Nieves, regarded as one of the best in the class. For such a reputation, he seemed really low-key.

Rene glanced at Ernest's direction and winked. "Secret compartment so I can easily find my faves." Ernest nodded and waved him goodbye. Rene held up a peace sign.

Ernest went back to his papers. He took the ballpen in his pocket and started fiddling around with it, trying to solve in the air. As he racked his head around possible solutions, he started drifting towards thinking about Rene. He was competent in a lot of things, academics, extra-curriculars, literature, and many more. It wasn't obvious, but he was clearly precocious somehow.

Another thing he realized was how differently he acted compared to other classmates. Ernest had the reputation of being a heartthrob in the campus, possibly for his good looks and his affable attitude. Girls would fawn over him while guys constantly wanted to be in his circle of friends. Of course, the lines between the genders were blurred at times, but overall, he was popular among the many students of the Department. Not Rene though. They've been in the same grade level for four years, but only now did they actually strike up a personal conversation.

Ernest figured out the answer and wrote it on the page, but he was still wondering about the enigma that was Rene Nieves. There was something about him that he.. liked. Liked?, Ernest thought. I barely even know him. Why would I like him? That can't possibly be the case, right?

His line of thought was interrupted when Klaus climbed up the stairs. "Ernest! Let's try the new milk tea shoppe outside. I heard they sold black forest."

Hurriedly, Ernest fixed his papers neatly, writing his name on the top of the sheet, ready to be passed to his teacher. "Wait a second Klaus, I'm just going to pass this to Sir."

"Well, hurry up. I don't want to miss this opportunity."

"Klaus, nobody likes the black forest flavor. Only you do, and I'm betting you're their only market."

"Well, consider me their captive audience then. Schneller! I'm already thirsty."

"Then go drink water." 

Klaus laughed at Ernest's remark and accompanied him out the library. Ernest told Klaus to go ahead while he went up to the Faculty Room. When he got to the staircase, he caught a glimpse of Rene, wearing his backpack, ready to go home. He looked keenly as the other boy talked to one of his friends from the lower level. He couldn't help smiling at how vivid he looked, even after a long day of class.

Ernest Kirchner. Whatever you're planning to do, do not mess this up, he scolded himself. He looked down at his test paper, the last item corrected so that it could be solvable. This won't be the last test item he's going to correct for you.