IV

"What do you mean today's the project?!"

Ernest could barely contain his surprise and dread. With everything going on like the upcoming exams, the choir practices, and the other performance tasks, he totally forgot their Music project was due today. What's worse, it's an entire musical performance, complete with choreography and costume. He was going to work on it. The whole class was supposed to. They just didn't realize it was today.

"I totally forgot about all of it. Louis, Angelo! Who are our groupmates again?"

Louis replied from across the room. "Us three, Klaus and Rene."

"Klaus. Dios mio. We'll never get this done in time."

"Sure we can." Rene put his arm around Ernest's shoulders. "All we have to do is wing it."

Angelo laughed from afar. "Nothing says Nieves like cramming a project."

Ernest was still doubtful. You can cram homework and worksheets, not whole projects. Right?

"Follow my lead. Angelo, get the lyrics to The Other Side. Louis, spare suits in the theater room. Ernest, who's Zac Efron between us?"

"I definitely have a lower voice than you so I'll take Hugh Jackman's role. But Rene, are you sure about this?"

Rene beamed at him, while figuring out what to do next. "Trust me Ernest. Sometimes, you just have to let the music play, and let the rest find its place."

Ernest had never seen Rene this loose before. He was lithe, almost giddy as he slid from person to person, figuring out what to do. He could just admire the energy he just found from Rene, and it movitated him to do the same.

Seconds later, Louis appeared with all costumes he could carry. Being Barnum, Ernest took the flashy red one, with faux gold buttons. Rene took a navy blue set that looked like it could be worn for prom. The rest took whatever was left and it all suited them.

As soon as they got dressed, they started organizing their "stage." They decorated a long table and placed it smack dab in the middle of the room. They stood on it to make sure dancing would be safe. To substitute liquor, Klaus volunteered his iced tea.

"Just don't spill it. I used actual tea to make it. And I might as well be the bartender."

Rene agreed. "Alright. You three figure out how to make a bass line for this. Ernest and I'll fix the melody."

Klaus nodded and led the Angelo and Louis to the side to practice. Ernest and Rene commisserated far away from the classroom, near the balcony on the other side of the hallway.

"What's your plan, Rene?"

"Sing well and make it flashy."

"That's it?"

"That's it. I'm dealing with the best singer in the school. I don't suppose we're going to have much of a problem."

Ernest looked intently at Rene. "Was that a compliment or a threat?"

Rene shrugged. "Up to you, Kirchner." He chuckled before he gave Ernest the lyrics to thr song. "I'm sure you've memorized thiis. We'll have one practice before the performance. Until then, wanna chill here?" Rene pointed at the balcony.

"Sure." Ernest stepped through the window and into the balcony. Rene followed suit. They both looked out into the vast city in front of them, with an enviable view of Manila.

Rene sighed, leaning on the metal railing. "The city's beautiful, isn't it?" He looked back at Ernest. "The skyline, the lights, the shadows of mountains far away."