III

Rene was eating his fried chicken, mash, and rice in the canteen. He was reminiscing the sequence of events that led him to go to school on a Saturday.

Earlier in the year, he volunteered to join the Recollet Student Congress in his University, the equivalent of a student government or union. After spending weeks of fixing minutes of the meeting and balancing their financial statements, he was suddenly chosen as the one of the representatives to the National Assembly that was held in a sister college in Baguio City. As a result, he had to join committee meetings that included the principals and even the priests on Saturday mornings. They were presenting resolutions and asking for suggestions to improve student welfare across schools.

They just had a fierce but civilized debate on freedom of expression when it came to the dress code, specifically on whether students can cross-dressed based on their gender identity. To the conservative administrators, Rene sarcastically remarked that if their University won't, the more progressive Academy up north would push through with it anyway, since it had popular support. The RSC President decided that it was enough for the day and adjourned the meeting.

The other members of the RSC were busily chatting as they ate, with Rene chiming in between chews. The others were impressed that he spoke up, considering he was usually mild-mannered and soft-spoken when it came to other things. "There are times when one must use their voice. Freedom of expression could very well be one of them." The others agreed and nodded before moving on to other topics.

Rene got chicken grease on his hands and went up to the the restroom to wash them. He excused himself from the table and made his way to the staircase. As he was walking, he took in the stillness of the University in the weekend. One could hear a few murmurs from far away, but the sound of the wind and the trees dominated the usually raucous corridors of the building. Kenopsia, Rene thought. The calm in the eye of the storm. The quiet between then and now. He traced the cracks in the walls with his fingertips. The peace and quiet helped him clear his mind after such a busy morning.

Along the way, he was accompanied by sound of the piano. It was discordant at first, and very faint, as if someone was testing it. Soon enough, a melody started forming, something that sounded familiar. Rene couldn't place it though, so he followed the music. It leads to the Choir Room. Were we supposed to have practice today?

The closer he got to the source, the more he could hear. He started picking up a voice. A deep one, that was following along with the music, but an octave lower. Rene got close enough to hear, he started hear the song clearly.

Could this be love at first sight or should I walk by again?

Rene recognized the voice immediately. Ernest? What is he doing here? Piqued, Rene ventured closer towards the room. He could hear the other boy singing with emotion and passion. No wonder Ernest trains the group often. He knows how its all supposed to go. Not to mention, he's determined to learn outside of school hours. By the time he was near the doorframe, the song's reached its chorus.

Turn the lights off. I'm in love. Wouldn't you like to, wouldn't you like to kiss him.

Him? He changed the lyrics?

Wouldn't you like to, wouldn't you like to dance with him? Dark, dark nights and violent things. Vaudevillian boys, and violin strings.

"All of these are the prettiest things when I'm in love."

Ernest abruptly stopped playing the piano. He wasn't expecting Rene to show up there, not to mention sing along with him.

"R-Rene. You startled me. I didn't know you were be here."

"Same for you, Ernest. Practicing the song?"

"Yeah, I am. I needed to understand it better so I played at here."

Rene looked at him intently. "You don't have a piano at home?"

"I--" Ernest hesitated to answer, as if he was embarassed to speak. "I-I.. wanted to practice here. I just.. my mind is clearer when I'm here, in this room."

"It has some sort of meaning for you?"

Ernest sighed and gazed out at this room. He made lots of memories here, meeting new friends, goofing around, developing a love for music. Whenever he felt like he needed to reset his mind, he'd just go back to this room and play the piano to his heart's content. Nobody knew about that though. Except Rene.

Ernest smiled a little, and fixed the hair that was sagging in front of his eye. "A very deep meaning, Rene."

"Alright then." Rene sat himself to the left of Ernest on the long pianist's chair. "If it's helping you with the performance, then  count me in." He laid his hand on the piano, softly playimg with each key. "Teach me the left hand side Ernest."

They both sat shoulder to shoulder, barely fitting but somehow both far enough for their arms to have space to play piano. Rene had a look of calm determination in his eyes, like he really wanted to learn the song from Ernest.

"Alright. It's simple. C chord, then E chord for a couple of measures. Follow my lead."

Ernest took Rene's hand and showed him how to play. Methodically, they went through each chord of the song until they were done, Ernest's guiding hand never straying from Rene's. Whenever they'd finish, Ernest would say something like "great job!" and "wow, you're learning fast!" with enthusiasm. Rene found that very endearing.

Not long after that, Rene and Ernest fully memorized the song. They sang it to their hearts' content until late into the afternoon, playing with the melody, trying different piano modes and genres, while exchanging observations about the choir room. They even had snacks while practicing. Klaus hid a stash of chocolates in one of the closets.

Ernest's phone rang in the middle of the tenth time they played the song. It was Emily.

"Yeah? Dad wants me to go home? Tiyo Samson is visiting? Alright, just let me wrap up." Ernest suddenly became flustered at something she whispered

"No. That's not the case. No, stop, Emily. Not now, I'll tell you later. Okay. Bye."

Ernest turned towards Rene and waved farewell. "That's my cue. I gotta go. Can you clean up here?"

"No worries, Ernest. I'll stay here a bit longer. Stay safe, okay?"

"I will. Goodbye, Rene."

"Bye!" Rene beamed.

Ernest hurriedly put on his jacket and sped out of the room and downstairs. He's in a hurry.

Rene looked back to the piano. Crumpled chocolate wrappers, scattered sheets of paper, the piano slightly askew on the table. He looked around in the room, the electric fan whirring overhead, photographs of composers on the wall, trophies from contests past lying about on the floor.

Rene smiled at all of it, and the day that he just spent. He arranged everything in the room as if nothing happened. Save for Klaus' snacks, he'd tease him with it on Monday. Rene was singing the song in his head, the lyrics, the voice of the singer clear as day in his head.

All of these are the prettiest things. Rene smiled as he closed his left hand, the hand he used to play piano earlier.

When I'm in love.