Chapter V

Author's note: Sorry for not updating for a while, I had been so busy with univ. I hope you understand. :)
------

I realized how hard it was to find a person in the middle of winter when I couldn't even find any footprints on the ground because it's always being covered by fresh snow.

I've entered the forest a little nervously because it's the first time I've gone here during the night. I am completely aware that there can be beasts lurking everywhere and I can easily get lost because everything looks the same when they are covered in heavy snow. The vibrant plants, shrubs, and trees during summer and spring are almost non existent in the middle of winter. I also have to walk carefully because of the very slippery paths because of ice.

"Chris? Where are you?!" I called out to the night.

I passed by the pond where we swim during summer that is now temporarily turned into a solid floor of ice. I was frustrated when I haven't even seen the shadow of the prince. I kept calling out for him, but only silence and the occasional hoots of the owls answered me.

I'm starting to feel the cold wind when I noticed that I can't recognize where I am anymore. I'm too distracted by worrying about the prince that I can't even bother thinking about which way I am going. But instead of worrying for myself, I just sighed and continued trudging through the heavy snow.

Almost an hour passed and still there's no luck. I eventually stopped calling out for him when I heard howling nearby. I gripped my sword tightly in my right hand and the torch in the other while being extra aware of my surroundings.

Where could he be? This forest is too vast and I must be crazy to believe that I will be able to cover every inch of it to search for him.

Admittedly, I'm not completely familiar of this forest despite the many years of playing and gathering around here. There are certain parts where Chris and I deliberately avoid because of the heavy vegetation and steep grounds. We promised to each other that we won't take another risk of discovering new things in exchange for our safety. But now, I'm just going to swallow my fear and walk this unfamiliar ground in hopes of finding him.

I feel really cold already and kind of regret that I didn't bring a coat or gloves with me. I tried warming my hands with my breath as I was looking up to the moons to measure the time. The crescent moons are already up high in the sky so it means it's getting very late.

Thoughtlessly, I placed my foot on the ground in front of me without looking. My senses kicked in a few seconds later and I shrieked as I heard a loud crack before I fell into the freezing water.

The only thing I saw was darkness and felt the bone chilling coldness of the water around me. I tried kicking myself up the water, but my legs are starting to feel numb. I couldn't even go up even for a second to get some air despite all my efforts. I'm desperately trying to find something that I can reach and hold on to. I started to worry when there's nothing I could grab on.

When I already felt light headed, I started panicking. I'm losing my breath as the seconds tick by. I'm sure this is not going to end well and I'm sinking faster.

Is this how I'm going to die?? Seriously??

The only thing I saw before I closed my eyes was the light from the moons that shine through the water.

I heard someone sobbing beside me as I gasp for air before opening my eyes.

"Lalissa?! Liss?! Are you okay?"

I coughed out water when I sat up and tried to remember what happened. My head doesn't feel right and I'm shivering cold with this wet clothes I'm wearing. I instantly turned to look at the boy beside me when I recalled what I am supposed to do here.