Chapter Eleven

"Why are you guys always holding hands?" Martin asked, making a face. "It's gross!"

"Shut up." May huffed.

"Layton, race me home!" Mark commanded, pushing the older boy.

"Whoa! Don't push!" Layton let go of her hand. "All right. What do I get if I win?"

Mark frowned and dug in his pocket. He came out with a small chocolate, though the wrapper looked like it had seen better days. "...A chocolate?"

"I love chocolate! You're on!"

Giggling like a maniac, Mark took off. Layton laughed. "Look at him! He gets excited over everything!"

May sighed. "It's just you. They get happy when you walk us home."

"More like run home." Layton ran off too.

"Hey, what about me?" Martin yelled, zipping along after Layton.

"I guess I'm walking home by myself," May mumbled, watching the three figures become smaller down the long street. Layton got so carried away with the games. He must forget halfway through that he was playing with an eight- and a ten-year-old or he was just really competitive when he got going. He was nearly at the end of the street, with the younger boys trailing along at different paces behind. She couldn't help laughing at him. He was just weird sometimes.

She sped up, keeping one eye on the boys but digging a book out too.

They were already waiting outside the house when she arrived, lounging about on the low wall that separated their yard from the neighbour's or slouching on the steps. Martin's face was red and he was panting. Exercise wasn't something he often did so he was a bit tubby. Mark seemed to have already shaken off the exertion and was chatting animatedly with Layton about what he'd done in school today.

"Come on, get in." she said as she opened the door. "Change out of your uniforms."

"I'd best be off," Layton said as the boys trooped off.

She smiled and leaned down to press a kiss to his lips. Then she prayed neither of the neighbours had chanced a look out of their windows at that moment. She didn't need Mum hearing it from them and then teasing her about it.

He pulled her back when she broke away and she didn't resist. They stole kisses or quick hugs in quiet areas of college, during lunch and free periods. She was a bit shy about public displays of affection and he seemed to have caught on, though she hadn't said anything. When he walked them home, she wanted to pull him in for a good long kiss, but she didn't want him to get late for work when he'd confided that he felt indebted to Tony's parents so he didn't want to give them any reason to complain.

Brushing her hair back behind her ear, he said, "You're free after your shift at the café on Saturday, right? Would you like to meet up?"

Mum used to work a full seven days before May had applied for her job. It was currently the only evening of the week they all got to spend together as a family. The boys looked forward to it so much.

But they could spare her one evening.

"Yeah, I'd love that," she smiled.

So Friday night saw her staring at the contents of her side of the wardrobe, trying to choose what to wear. It was late and the boys were in bed. Mum was downstairs, having some much needed me-time in front of the telly with a beer in hand. Maybe her phone would ring soon and she'd answer if she was in the mood, although most of the time, she didn't because she didn't want to hear Grandma's voice so late. Grandma lived an hour away and came by occasionally to relieve the burden from May's young shoulders.