Chapter Fifteen

The house that Dad lived in with his son was enormous. It stood in the well-to-do part of town and each property on the street had a drive, a garage, an immaculate lawn, and each house was about three storeys high, each with tall windows on the ground floor – some of which showed off spacious living rooms, while others were netted off. It was kind of like the house they'd lived in before he'd moved away.

"You ready?" Layton asked, squeezing her hand.

She nodded.

It was Sunday and Grandma had arrived that morning, shortly after Mum had left for work. She'd spent a couple of hours in her grandma's company and had even cooked lunch, but she'd been anxious to do this. As soon as lunch had been over and done with, she'd called Layton and they'd met up at the bus station. Now, here they were.

"You sure you want to come in?" she asked.

"Yeah. I don't trust Sammy, even if he is your half-brother. Though it would be great if he isn't in. Come on."

The talk with Dave must have done him some good because he looked buoyant. The smiles were more forthcoming – every time she caught his eye, she was treated to one. Even when she looked at him and he was lost in his musings, he looked happier.

A silver Mercedes was stood in the drive so she assumed Dad would be home, though she also didn't relish the idea of meeting the son. They walked up to the front door and rang the doorbell and a long series of chimes sounded from inside. Her heartbeat became more of a stuttering mess as the seconds ticked by. There was a feeling of dread weighing down the pit of her stomach, which had started as soon as they'd gotten off at the nearest bus stop.

It was Sam who answered, looking like he'd just gotten out of bed with his mussed up hair, bleary eyes and tartan-print pyjama bottoms with a simple white vest which showed off muscled arms which could probably knock even someone like Layton to the ground in a single punch. He blinked at them for a few minutes. Then his gaze narrowed in on Layton and he looked a little more awake. "You! What are you doing at my house? And why's your little girlfriend here?"

"Hi, Sammy." Layton said, putting his hand up in a little wave. "Nice outfit!"

"Don't call me that!"

"We're not here to see you," May said, not even bothering with a greeting. Her feeling from last time about Sammy being a massive creep hadn't abated, although it was tinged with some other complicated feeling now that she knew they had a deeper connection than she'd assumed. Had he known who she was? Was that why he'd known about her brothers? Or had he really had his damned goons following her around? "I want to see my dad."

Sam looked briefly like the wind had been knocked out of him. Until a voice from behind said, "Who is it, Sammy?"

Layton snickered. If he was at all scared of his former leader, it wasn't showing. In fact, he looked like he was enjoying himself. "Sammy."

Sammy scowled but moved out of the way. Dad came to the door, surprise evident on his face as he saw May. He had a jacket on so either he was on his way out or he'd just come back. "May! Come...Come in!"

May smiled uncertainly but did as asked and stepped inside. She couldn't help looking around. It was so spacious next to the tiny house she lived in! They walked past the door of the dining room, and then a small bathroom, a staircase around the corner of the hallway, and then a door further down under the stairs through which she could just about see a marble countertop with some full shopping bags on it. They were led into the living room opposite it.

It was like a dream. The entire space was white, down to the silver wide-screen TV and white bookshelves which edged the entire inside wall. The only colours provided were by the vast array of books that lined the shelves.